Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Sooooooo...yes, another story in gifs.


Where did I disappear off to this spring? I suppose an explanation would be appropriate, for those of you reading this who have been praying for me the past few years, and who I am very thankful for...maybe a couple explanations. I'll start with this post, though. :)

So. I got an interview at the med school I've been thinking about since I was 16, working towards for the past 3 years, and doing application stuff for the past 6 months. 

Everyone I know went:


I went:

because, even if I like to pretend


just about any time I open my mouth I'm like:


the moment afterwards. :P


Interviews are not my strongest point...they may almost be my weakest...so I was fighting panic from the moment I got the email. Fighting it is the key word, because I knew I shouldn't be worried. 

Every time I started hyperventilating, Exodus 4 would come to mind and I would go...oh, yeah...okay.

But I did a practice interview with my school's career service people...it went terribly...I talked to people on the phone...in person...tried to figure out the best way to explain certain things...tried to figure out what were my strengths and what was the least damaging way to look at my weaknesses...UGH. I went over almost 300 possible interview questions (What do you think of the war in Iraq? When was a time you solved a problem in a creative manner? What would you do if a patient came up to you on the street and...), and drove myself nearly crazy. And then prayed until I was sane again. :) 

And then suddenly it was the week of the interview and I was scrambling to find clothes to wear. (Not kidding, it took about 13 hours to find a suit that fit me acceptably, that was decently made, and that I would be comfortable in. It was utterly wretched.) I got a manicure (for the first time in my life...my nails looked really bad and completely unprofessional. I think it helped. :) and my mom stopped by the hospital library and picked up a few current medical journals at random. (You should have seen the stack of reading material by my bed...it was crazy. And all fascinating. XD) 

I'd been reading a ton recently (it was spring break!), but the night before the interview, I happened to read through one of the journals my mom had picked up at random. One of the articles had quotes from different medical school students and doctors, and I glanced through it. One picture caught my attention, and looking at that section, I recognized someone from a list of med school faculty I'd been looking at earlier. He looked nice, sounded interesting, and I suddenly wished he could be the one to interview me.

He's interviewing you tomorrow.

The thought hit me so hard I read through what he had to say several times, and showed the picture to my mom before I went to bed. She looked appropriately confused, and, given the randomness of the thought, I didn't really explain why I was showing it to her. 



Shoes = always important. XD If I was
more organized, you'd get a picture
of my hair on interview day, which
was totally fun to do. But we'll go
with my shoes, because I like shoes. ;) 
Then it was interview day. 

I was the first person to arrive at the admissions office, and the secretary handed me my folder. "The first person who will be interviewing you is Dr. ____," she said. It was the doctor whose picture I'd seen the night before...and somehow I was not surprised at all. 

The first "hard" question he asked me...and the second...were questions I'd already seen and discussed. The questions I had (that I'd brought for whoever happened to interview me) ended up being on things he was very knowledgeable and passionate about. The hour passed before I knew it, and I was on to the second interview, which went awesomely. (The hardest question that interviewer asked me was "Where do you get inspiration for your stories?" and I was delighted to answer. XD)

And, of course, the fact that I knew who was going to interview me? I went:


To end the day, I found out that only 3 people had applied to the program I was applying to this year - so my application would either be accepted or not accepted based on the strength of my application, not maybe-we'll-contact-you-later-after-we-compare-you-to-50-people-more-qualified-than-you. 



But then I had to wait. 34 days. 

And every day my family asked When will you find out if you've been accepted?!?!?!


and days 1-10 I went:



days 11-20 I went:



days 21-30 I went:



Around day 34 I went:


By then my grandparents got to the point of, if it takes them that long for them to decide you shouldn't even go there! Go home and ride your horse! Enjoy your life! This is stupid and stressful! 


But then one day I came walking home from classes wondering will I find out what I'm DOING with my life today or not? and of course we had no mail (I'm pretty sure we'd worn out our mailbox, checking so much), so I sighed and enjoyed the brilliant blue sky with all the white snow and walked into the house and somebody came running to give me the phone saying they called they called call them back! I'm pretty sure it was a younger brother and I'm pretty sure he added something about you're not getting in...but it was my younger brother and I kind of expected that addendum and my mom handed me the phone already dialed and I said who I was and that I was returning a call and the med school secretary said 

The committee would like to offer you a place in our class.

And I said Yay and then:

And I started on finding a place to live next fall and a job for the summer and figuring out how to fit med school orientation into a crazy school week and...



No, I'm kidding.  



Even if it's mostly internal, since that's how I am, no matter how hard reality tries to slam me in the face, it's still more like...



Because it was not me that got me this far and I'm delighted for the confirmation that yes, this was what I was supposed to be doing, and no, I hadn't completely screwed it up yet, and yes, I can actually say I'm a med student now and someday I might actually be able to say I'm a doctor and everything is falling into place for this awesome adventure God has prepared for me.

A huge thank you to everyone who has been praying for me...and thank you all for sticking around while I was waiting for my future and trying to figure out everything I needed to do...I've missed everyone's blogs a lot, and here's hoping I have a chance to catch up...before med school starts on August 19 and the insanity begins. 

I can't wait. 



5 thoughts shared:

Vicki said...

Oh. My. Goodness.

I don't even know how to begin expressing my happiness for you.

Quick, click this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWLIgjB9gGw

**EXPLOSION OF CRAZY CONFETTI AND STREAMERS AND HAPPY DANCING ON TOP OF THE PIANO**

I am so, so, so happy for you, my dear friend!!! A million congratulations! Your story gave me all kinds of chills and happiness and just plain awesome feelings - God is so incredibly good, and He's already doing awesome things through you!!!

I'm so glad to hear from you (it's been really lonesome here in blogworld without you!!), especially since you have such good news! :-D :-D :-D I can't wait to hear more about your program and what you'll be doing in the fall!

Blessings and great big hugs to you, my friend!!

Lots of love,
Vicki

Miss Melody Muffin said...

I AM SO HAPPY YOU'RE BACK IN THE BLOGGING WORLD!!!! (Even though we've been emailing, it is still great to have you blogging again!)

If I haven't said it before, this is an awesome and amazing story and so wonderful for you!!!!! YOU'RE A MED STUDENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not sure I'd ever noticed the Gaksital gif at the bottom of your blog before- but I've noticed now and I LOVE it!!!

Katherine Sophia said...

*HUGS* thank you so much, Vicki!!! *giggle* XD God is so incredibly good, and I am very excited. :D
And gah, I have missed you, too! This past semester turned much crazier than I had anticipated (my mom warned me...I was like I only have class 3 days a week! What could possibly go wrong? heheh...heh... :P It was HARD!) but how are you doing?? I will be on your blog soon... :)

XD It is nice to be back, Melody! I was going to wait a couple more weeks, and then it was like...nope. XD And I'm glad, because this summer is already flying by and I know I won't have a ton of time to be blogging during med school - though I hope to write as much as I can without flunking out or violating any patient's privacy. :D
Haha...yeah...I saw it and couldn't help but stick it on my blog. XD You are making me want to watch it again something dreadful. (LOL and my iPod's autocorrect changes Gaksital to Gaksitaaaaaaaaal for me all the time. XD Apparently I was having too much fun including the extra A's for a while...)

Rebekah Bradford said...

Congrats on being a med student now! Honestly I had such a hard time reading this post (in a good way, I assure you) 'cause of all the awesome gifs! First I saw Dean Winchester...then The Doctor...then How I Met Your Mother and Big Bang Theory. Seriously you picked awesome gifs :)

http://findingmyinspiration.blogspot.com/

Katherine Sophia said...

Thank you, Rebekah! :D Haha...I had a lot of fun finding the gifs. XD I haven't actually seen all these shows, but these fit too well not to include. XD I'm glad you enjoyed seeing them! :D

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails