Monday, April 24, 2017

#The Writer's Tag


What did I JUST say about tags...Okay, but it appears that Cait of the Cakes pulled it into the blog world through the instagram portal, which means it is awesome, Then the fact that Jennifer Freitag did it caught my attention. By the time Mirriam did it, I wanted to, but when Arielle followed after I could no longer delay. {Yes, the full quadrumvirate was required to convince me.} 


1. WHAT GENRES, STYLES, AND TOPICS DO YOU WRITE ABOUT?

Genres:
There was a time I could answer this with "Westerns and Biblical Fiction."  HEH. I have since broadened to historical fiction, pseudo-European/Indian historical fantasy, East Asian fantasy {dragons, my friends}, contemporary {which I never thought I'd touch}, time travel/dystopian sci-fi/martyrs&revolution, futuristic sci-fi fairy tale retellings, plus a Scottish/Korean medical fantasy {other-dimensional elves and von Willebrand Disease} and something that's a Victorian England/ancient Hebrew/Briton mix where the orphans are running the insane asylum {and that draws a lot from Korean dramas of the historical and the revenge variety}.

I become progressively genre-less as I march along, apparently. 
Genres I don't write? Horror, paranormal, straight-up romance, etc. 

Styles:
...I just kinda write the story how it feels right...cross-genre is obviously easier to write however I want...Erm...I guess I tend towards a smooth and thoughtful, deeper, more subtle sort of stye, though not necessarily as descriptive as it yet could be, usually 3rd person, occasionally 1st person, with somewhere between 1 and 10 POVs happening. {Or something like that.} I like cliffhangers and eucatastrophes {and catastrophes in general} and foreshadowing, occasional poetic justice moments {maybe more like prosaic justice moments}, and I'm working on improving my ticking clock and Chekhov's gun pieces. {While not losing the thoughtful feel of the story, which can be tricky.} I love unreliable narrators, but am currently rewriting a few because really they were just bad narrators and not helpful. XD 

Topics:
Good grief. Um...well, friendship, siblings, spirituality, hard choices, love, loyalty, race/cross-culture angles, messed-up authority figures, and medical issues tend to somehow make it into all my stories. Beyond that...the possibilities are endless.


2. HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN WRITING?

Sheesh, I dictated my first story when I was 4...did my writing career not start until I knew how to write?
The first several-page, beginning-middle-end, regular story I remember writing I finished when I was 8 and gave it to my younger brother for his birthday, all printed out and set in a yellow folder, but I'd written shorter stories before that, as well as directed some plays - i.e. it's been a long time. Some 20 years. Though I didn't really pull off the checks and balances and just let myself write until within the last decade. {Turns out I write better when I let down my hair and scribble ideas and dictate snippets and discuss ideas and don't force myself to work on that-one-book-I-decided-to-write-when-I-was-12 all the time.}


3. WHY DO YOU WRITE?

it's what I do. 
it's what I have always done.
why do you ask.


4. WHEN IS THE BEST TIME TO WRITE?

 WHENEVER I HAVE TIME AND INSPIRATION AT THE SAME TIME. Which lately has been sickeningly never.


5. PARTS OF WRITING YOU LOVE VS. PARTS YOU HATE?

Love:
Realizing what the theme or point or heartbeat of the story will be
Creating people, worlds, story arcs...
Seeing reader reactions
Working through and coming to understand an issue or a problem as I find I've written it into a story 

Hate:
NOT HAVING ENOUGH TIME 
Fighting with first and last chapters
The getting to the end of a book and finding my pantsing was not nearly as complete as I'd hoped.
Trying to keep my motivation and interest alive through editing and rewrites. {I know how the story goes now...the magic is a lot harder to grasp. This is why too much plotting kills my stories.}


6. HOW DO YOU OVERCOME WRITERS BLOCK?

Writer's Block is a phenomenon I've never really challenged. Either I have a moment and inspiration to write and I write or I have a moment and spend it wishing I had inspiration but find I need to review my story instead.
Writing is my escape and my fun - I did not pursue it full-time because a} I wasn't confident in my abilities to provide for my life through writing and b} I never wanted to force myself to do something I loved.
That said, if I actually want to write, I can usually sit down, read over story, and add some piece to something. Arielle's Quote Questes are super helpful as well.


7. ARE YOU WORKING ON SOMETHING AT THE MOMENT?

My main focus is changing some things about Contract to Time Travel because THE PERFECTIONIST CAN'T STOP MESSING WITH SCENES. Also, it's killing me to weigh dramatic impact vs medical accuracy. I mean, I try to keep both, obviously. But sometimes...



8. WRITING GOALS THIS YEAR?

~Finish what I'm working on above
~Send it to publisher/agent/march down the list
~possibly re-write Hope Sprang Up, that historical fantasy I wrote my first year in college
~KEEP WRITING SOMETHING {I've got the whole residency train to buck, so...yes, this is a goal.}


2 thoughts shared:

Jessica Greyson said...

I love you and your stories! <3

Katherine Sophia said...

Same, though. <3 XD

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails