Monday, March 13, 2017

~2016~

Something you did not expect today...a year in review. 

Hey, I know it's March. But this is kind of the start of my year, so...HI, GUYS!!!


And this is long, but considering HOW I DROPPED OFF THE END OF THE BLOGGING EARTH LAST YEAR/beginning of this year, maybe this'll make up for a few of those missing posts. :) And really, for 2016, in blogging, as in a few areas in life...



What did you do in 2016 that you’d never done before? 


- Honed my skills as Gypsy Healer by living in 7 different places over the year, as well as by traveling clear across the country.
- Flew to Chicago for a ~$1500 lunch. (Okay, so actually it was a ridiculous and ridiculously expensive day-long practical exam, and they fed us lunch there.)
- Took a 9 hour exam. On the computer. They just keep getting longer.
- Drove myself to IL, NE, WI, MN, and flew to MI, AZ, AL, and MO, staying in hotels, renting cars, and figuring out UBER. For someone who hadn't set foot in a commercial airport in 10 years...this was a lot of traveling. XD
- Saw the ocean. (That traveling had to have one upside.)
- Ate alligator. (See, I was working on my just-go-for-it goal for 2016...)

Did you keep your New Years’ resolutions, and will you make one this year?
See here what I do instead of make resolutions. [2016201520142013,
 2011] 2017's I will discuss soon.

2016's word was a life-long goal...and of course I am not satisfied with my progress. Though compared to last year...I think I do know God more, my family more, my friends more, and myself - of which the first in that line was awesome and the last was frightening, as I kind of think it is always meant to be.


What countries/states did you visit?

Ha. See above. XD



me, like every month
Did you move anywhere?
Hoo, boy...Large moves, 2, then all the other short-term stays. 



What was the best month?

May was kind of awesome, because I was at the end of my 9-month rotation and able to have the benefit of that much time in one place working with the same people, with patients I knew. I was ridiculously sad because I knew it was ending, but I loved the abilities I gained and the level of comfort I'd reached with what I was doing. It's a great feeling when patients are delighted you're at clinic that day to care for them. 
December was also awesome because it was the first break I've had in 2 years, where I didn't have to work or study or anything. It was amazing, and I didn't push myself much even to do the fun stuff I wanted to work on (languages, editing, drama-watching), simply because glory be, a break. (I did finish a novella I'd been working on, and that also kinda made my month.)


Did you suffer illness or injury? 
I don't really remember anything happening...maybe I blocked it allll out. I suffered stress. XD

Where did most of your money go?

Ah, my non-existent money? XD Definitely school. School, tests, and interviews. 



What was the best thing you bought?

*cough*withotherpeople'smoney*cough* I went to a house sale and got two rice-paper parasols for like $5. Similar parasols sell for $25-125 online, so I don't know their real value, but I really like them. XD


What did you get really, really, really excited about? 

So many things. XD Passing the second and third of my day-long step exams.  The interview I had at my top residency program. The meeting I had with another program director just because she was purely awesome. Getting letters of recommendation from awesome people. Learning to travel without any horrendous incidents occurring. The birth of my third niece. Getting to hang out with my first niece. Time with my sisters, blood, twin, or fairy. Music, stories, the usual. XD


What song/album will always remind you of 2016?

Oh...Park Eun Tae in general; the musical Dorian Gray in particular. This was the year I wrote a modern fairytale retelling about a Celtic Rock band, with the main character inspired by Park Eun Tae. This was the year a dear friend's NaNo was a Beauty and the Beast/Phantom of the Opera retelling with the main character inspired by Park Eun Tae. 

This is the year we spent hours listening to Dorian Gray, not because either of us have read the book or have watched other versions, but because that man's voice is unreal, and there are endless moral discussions that can be had regarding themes in the story. (And Dorian was played by Kim Junsu, meaning we got the duets that both of us have been waiting for forever. XD) 
This was also the year Park Eun Tae was cast in Phantom!, which was pretty much a dream come true. XD

In case any of you are curious...  



Who did you spend the most time on the phone with? 

my mom. again. who do most people talk to on the phone? XD


What was the best book you read?

Rereads...the Bible. Obviously. It continues to amaze me how a book can be so well known and so new every time I read it. 
As far as new books...This was the year Sufficient Grace was published, which is something I've been waiting for a very long time, though I first read it years and years ago. XD Finally, though, guys. Finally. 
It was also the year that Paper Crowns was published, which I have not been waiting for nearly as long, but which was a delightful piece of 2016.
A book I've haven't entirely read but which I was the most excited to discover for the first time was Sky, Wind, and Stars, which made me look at poetry in a way I have not in a while. And what I've read of it so far was painful and gorgeous.


Did you fall in love in 2016? 

Repeatedly. And I am determined to continue so doing. 


What was your favorite TV show/movie?
Hmm...Signal was one of the most fascinating, well-written dramas I have ever seen, and it ripped my heart to pieces...while Descendants of the Sun was a crack drama that I adored watching. Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo wins for favorite incredible and epic and awesome scenes mixed with the most unbelievably atrocious directing and editing. XD








Who was the best new person you met?  

This is such a terrible question. The Teddy Bear Surgeon who taught me that nice people actually do go into surgery? The awesome program director mentioned earlier? The nurses at the child psychiatric program where I did a rotation? The patient who discussed depression and recovery and God's will with me? The patient who made me realize at 3am on the hospital floor exactly how much I've grown in the past few years? The Med-Peds resident who cheered me on and made a big deal about my patient care?


Compared to this time last year, are you:
1. happier or sadder?
 Happier. I and those I love survived 2016.
2. thinner or fatter? I think I am the same...
3. richer or poorer? Heh, ohhhh, poorer, for sure. XD You should expect that answer. 



Did anyone close to you give birth?

Other than the last few deliveries I attended...yes, the 3rd niece made her appearance! And she is adorrrrable...Now there's Rose^2, Tal-Tal/Angel-Hair, and Tianna. Which is what her sisters called her and the way they said it was so cute, I just went with it. She might get an off-the-wall nick-name yet...just not right now. XD


Did anyone close to you die?

No. Which, considering it was 2016, left me very relieved.








What date from 2016 will remain etched upon your memory?
11/16/16 possibly...There were so many answered prayers surrounding the interview with the program I've wanted to Match with ever since I first heard about it...it was incredible, okay?

Also Christmas, which my family put on - teaching my niece to ski, having an intense gift exchange, everyone writing down what made Christmas Christmas to them...and once again the crazy closeness of the 20 people in the room being made clear when we saw how similar our answers were.

     

What was your biggest failure?
Unlike last year, no single incident stands out, but a series of moments in which I lacked discipline, and which I had to fight repeatedly over the year to face myself and to take charge of and responsibility for my actions or lack thereof. Things improved in December, maybe because of turning another year old, maybe because I was finally ready to deal with my own lack of motivation and get things done/make changes I'd been needing to make all year. 



What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Looking back, the things I am most pleased with having done in 2016 include, once again, becoming closer to my family and friends...learning to push outside my comfort zone even in small things, as well as in traveling/interviews/etc...simply learning to be and learning who I wanted to (and should...) be.





first, who says I was kept sane...



What kept you sane? 
...can I copy 2015's list? 'cause I am going to do so.
writing. 

dramas.
awesome friends and the best mother I've seen around.
mostly God. :)





Valuable life lesson you learned in 2016. So many life lessons, you guys. So many. Which one do you want to hear about? Do not go with a cheap hotel down south? Beware what stupid things come out of your mouth while you're being interviewed? Stand and see the salvation of your God?   


What would you like to have in 2017 that you lacked in 2016?

Last year I said courage.

I still want courage...but I want something more. I want, not just courage, but fearlessness. I want sheer abandon to my God and everything to which He has called me. I want to be so full of Him that I am emptied of myself. I want Him. Not that He was lacking in 2016...but that ever and always I want Him, more and deeper and constantly.


Five things I wanted to remember from 2015 and did I remember them: 


1) If you don't like who you are - change it. Slowly, slowly. I reminded myself of it...and though it is impossible for a leopard to change its spots, the God who makes the dead to live again makes everything possible. I could have remembered it a bit more.
2) The associated life lesson on how to do that: in order to change, changeChanges did happen...not so many as I would have liked...it's hard to be a perfectionist, okay? This is a life lesson I want to keep forever, though.
3) That it is always best to go for clear communication...no matter how hard it might seem at the time...just...TELL PEOPLE WHAT YOU'RE THINKING AND ASK THE SAME FROM THEM. Again...learning, learning, learning. I am getting there. And this also is a remember-forever thing.
4) Focus. Better than 2015. :) 
5) Just go for it. {Hesitation and contemplation trip me up far more than they should. Shout out the answer, ask the question, do the thing. Go for it.} XD Better than 2015. 


Five things I want to remember from 2016:

1) The good that comes from freely loving.

2) The excitement of doing new things, gaining new skills, as well as the satisfaction of mastering a thing.
3) That I never regret spending time with people or with God, and often regret not doing the former and always regret not doing the latter.
4) To treasure the love of my inner circle, and to keep them close forever.
5) That the God of the universe is the One who holds my hand.



Five things I wanted to do in 2016:

1) Ace my Step 2 Board exam. I've got a 2nd chance here to nail this thing to a wall. Ace it might be pushing it. But I did better than on Step 1, despite several mistakes I made in scheduling and timing of the exam (GUYS, IF YOU EVER HAVE TO TAKE STEP 2. DO NOT TAKE IT DURING YOUR SUB-I ROTATION!) and I did get interviews, which is basically the only point of these exams , so...
2) Apply to Meds-Peds residency programs {and interview and get accepted by one?? that might be a 2017 goal though. XD} I applied. And I interviewed. The rest was indeed a 2017 goal. :) 
3) Actually learn to excel, rather than survive. Slightly better on this front. It's coming. XD
4) Do MORE with my writing. Specifically, a) publish a short story. b) publish a poem. c) submit CTTT to either a publisher or an agent. All preferably before my application for residency is due. :) Ahahahahahaha. End-of-the-year-me is always so ambitions. I did a) write a novella. b) send a poem in to a competition (won't hear back regarding publication until April 2017) c) prepare CTTT for submission, chose a publisher, and wrote a query letter & allllll that stuff. So...MORE did happen, even if I didn't hit the specifics. XD I'm flexible.
5) Pray more. Specifically, as close to an hour a day as is possible. I don't know. There were times and there were other times, and...possibly more than in 2015. Though not as much as I wanted or needed.


Five things I want to do in 2017:
1) Be accepted to a residency program. (This is totally outside my control at this point...but hey.)
2) Finish medical school well. I have 14 more weeks of rotations as I write this...I want to learn, I want to understand, I want to be the best that I can be.
3) Be purposeful. Not sliding in just at the due date, catching people just before they are overwhelmed, passing things just above the line. But reaching out to people just to love them. Getting things done as soon as I can.  
4) Ahem. Once again, do more with my writing. So... a) self-publish my novella and maybe a few short stories also. b) publish a poem. c) submit CTTT to first a publisher and then to an agent. Before residency starts, because after...hahaha.
5) Pray more. Once again, as close to an hour a day as is possible. This year I'm actually going to keep track - not because I want to be legalistic about it, I don't at all. But how have I managed to read through the Bible year after year? By keeping track of it. Sometimes that little extra paying attention is all that is necessary.




6 thoughts shared:

Ashton said...

Oh my word.... It's so good to see you alive and well!! I was in rather a panic at first, once I realized (after allll the blogs I follow) yours never popped up past September. :O
I'm thankful the Lord has sustained you throughout this past year. And you will finish medical school well. I know it! Praying for you!

Katherine Sophia said...

It's good to be back! :) I shouldn't have disappeared so out of the blue, but it was an abrupt decision and my life was crazy busy since. XD
But thank you for your prayers! Life is good and I am excited to see here God takes me next!

wisdomcreates said...

Love your update! Also, please ignore the comment in your next post. I read it first and pleaded for an update before I realized I had missed this post. Just consider yourself far ahead of the game - you answered my plea before I even asked. ;) Hope you continue to excel at all you do!

Katherine Sophia said...

Thanks! Haha, glad to have done so! I figured I should let people know what I'd been up to. XD

Jessica Greyson said...

You are so epic! <3

Katherine Sophia said...

XD So are you, my friend on the other side of the world...I'm so happy about what we've done this year...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails