Tuesday, August 4, 2015

This week I...




nearly died:
of happiness that I passed Step 1. XD 
It was a bad day - I'd had to leave surgery [where I was actually helping and learning how to do laparoscopic surgery and everything was awesome!!] because I almost passed out, and then ended up not getting to do call that night because I was throwing up. (No clue what was going on, but I felt nasty.) Then I saw the email that my results were available and it was just like....I can't look right now. So instead I took a shower and fell into bed, slept for several hours, and then when I woke up, no longer feeling quite so awful, found my family because I figured they deserved to be involved, XD and finally got to see the results. :D


listened to:
one of the most gorgeous OSTs I've listened to in a while...
actually, listen to this song and then reload it in another window and listen to them both playing different parts at the same time...it's weirdly cool. [or maybe that's just me. XD but seriously, listen to it.]






prayed:
for several impossible things. because why not? :) 
also, this week I'm specifically praying about next week, both as far as studying for my first shelf exam goes, as well as getting feedback from one of my 3 preceptors (or more would probably be better), and getting more hands-on experience now that I'm 1/2 done with the rotation.


wrote:
nothing. weep with me, my friends. [though hee, I might write something today{Sunday}... XD]

the thing that stood out to me most in school was:
helping. babies. get. born. is. awesome. 
Right now I don't think I want to do OB. At the same time, I am loving my OB/GYN rotation. So very much. 


random quote of the week:
"No, no, stay where you are. You're small--I can push you."
as I move to get out of my chair so a nurse can open a drawer behind me...lol


learned from the internet:
this. XD 



learned from life: 
CHOICES.
It's funny how it all comes down to the little moments. To whether I choose to start praying as soon as my eyes open in the morning or to check my email. To whether I play a chapter of the Bible as I'm driving to the hospital in the morning or a song. 
As someone named Ken Levine said, "We all make choices, but in the end our choices make us." If I keep a hold of my little choices, big ones become so much easier. 


a thing that stood out to me in the Bible:
But king Solomon loved many strange women...and his wives turned away his heart. For it came to pass, when Solomon was old, that his wives turned away his heart after other gods: and his heart was not perfect with the Lord his God, as was the heart of David his father. For Solomon went after Ashtoreth the goddess of the Zidonians, and after Milcom the abomination of the Ammonites. And Solomon did evil in the sight of the Lord, and went not fully after the Lord, as did David his father. Then did Solomon build an high place for Chemosh, the abomination of Moab, in the hill that is before Jerusalem, and for Molech, the abomination of the children of Ammon. And likewise did he for all his strange wives, which burnt incense and sacrificed unto their gods.

This is the wisest man who ever lived. This is a man to whom God spoke twice. This is him at the end of his life, after all that he saw God do in Israel...when he was old. He knew better. 

 Along with the point above about choices (you don't just get up one day after building the temple and watching the Shekinah glory fill it and go I'll try that with a different god today...), I think sometimes we get far too comfortable. Solomon had to have known the other gods weren't real. And maybe that was part of his problem. He was old and wise and found the concept stupid...if it made his wives happy when he built temples to their fantasies and bowed down with them...why not? It wasn't like it mattered anyway. Except it did. (Think about all those thousand wives/concubines ending up in hell because he thought making them happy in their pagan state a good thing to do.) 

1st Corinthians says, "Now all these things happened unto them for ensamples: and they are written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the world are come. Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall." There is no point where we're 'home safe' until we actually are, and thinking we're past the point of having to guard against a particular sin at any time is probably the exact moment when it will hit us broadside.





2 thoughts shared:

Vicki said...

THAT LAST THOUGH. Somehow I never picked up on the fact that Solomon's waywardness happened at the end of his life - that changes so many things about my understanding of this passage. Good insights. Wowzz.

And you're very right about the little things - I've been trying to be mindful of that lately, too, especially in the area of what music I listen to. I read something recently that talked about how important it is to stay turned toward the Lord all through the day, and that is in the small things like choosing a Christian song instead of a secular one, or reading a passage of Scripture instead of something frivolous. It makes a big difference!!

I love you!! Hope you're feeling better now! <3

~ Vicki

Katherine Sophia said...

Isn't it funny the little details we miss and then they hit us and we're just like O_O how did we not see that... ? The Bible is such an incredible book... :D

It does make a difference...let's keep working on it!! (why is it so easy to get distracted again? ugh)

Thank you, I am! :) love you too! :D

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails