Friday, January 2, 2015

Beautiful Books


I ran out of time to join the link-up, but I have a thing for finishing up random details like this, and also
I completed writing Contract to Time Travel

so here is the third and final installment of Beautiful Books. :D


1. On a scale of 1 (worst) to 10 (best) how well do you think this book turned out?
10 being best of my writing so far? :D Or 10 being best of writing I've read...never mind, let's go with out of my own writing. XD

It took me 2 years to write...but at no point in the story was I really frustrated with the writing. (Unlike And It Was Love, the last novel I finished, and which drove me insane. Insaner, anyway.) It flowed. Yes, I changed scenes and redid the beginning multiple times. (I wrote the first chapter last, which I have never before done. I also have never liked a first chapter as much as I like this one.) Yes, I deleted entire sections and changed the ending over and over and over again...but I reread sections over and over without getting bored with my own writing, also. I edited chapters 1-20 the other day (20-40 shortly after that) and actually enjoyed it. I'm excited for the few changes I know I have to make, and not as worried as I should be about the things I don't yet know how I'll fix. I really enjoyed writing this book. (*apologies to those reading it who are currently in pain*)
I think I have to give it at least a 9 on the scale of my writing. It's not a particularly safe book - I didn't hold back: characters do things I never allowed other characters to do, and it's not a book I'd recommend to everyone. But in letting my imagination throw in all manner of craziness, I've been very surprised at the strength of the story that resulted. And by editing so much as I wrote, I'm far more satisfied with the finished version 1 than I usual am.

2. Have you ever rewritten or editing one of your books before? If so, what do you do to prepare yourself? If not, what’s your plan?
My short story! I edited the living daylights out of that thing. And sent it to an actual editor. And had every person I knew with any kind of writing experience read it and give me feedback.
I don't know if I'll be able to afford an actual editor this time...don't write books over 100K....we'll see what I manage to do with it myself. :D

3. What’s your final wordcount? Do you plan to lengthen or trim your book?
118,290
Trim, trim, trim, please be.

4. What’s are you most proud of? Plot, characters, or pacing?
Pacing... :P One part of editing I need to figure out - I don't know how many days the novel even covers. (the first 28 chapters cover 2 days. :P)
photo manip Safirewriter and moi 
Plot...stay alive? that could maybe use a little work also. Especially considering I wrote three chapters and then the entire plot changed on me. (Which is why I finally had to go back and change the first chapter to fit the story. I might need a new title now.)
Characters...yes, I like my characters. And I adore watching readers fall in love with them. XD

5. What’s your favourite bit of prose or line from this novel?
Don't ask me favorites.
And I edited out some of my favorite lines because that section of the book needs its own novella. (I couldn't make it longer than it was. I couldn't.)
Mainly I can't share my favorites because they're spoilers.

6. What aspect of your book needs the most work?
The fact that I gave one of the main characters a head injury which pretty much knocked her out of commission the whole middle half of the book, frustrating myself until I turned it into a broken nose, which didn't help all that much, definitely needs fixed. Her personality as a whole needs to find itself...she's very much a reluctant leader anyway, and my throwing injuries at her did not help her move along the plot, or change very much. (Everybody else changes quite a lot. I don't think she's a Mary Sue, but she could use a few changes.)

7. What aspect of your book is your favourite?
I don't knowwwwww...characters. XD

8. How are your characters? Well-rounded, or do they still need to be fleshed-out?
Aside from what I answered to #6...there are some side characters who could probably use some work. There are a few characters who just are mysterious, and I'm not sure I want to change how they come across...so I think this is something I'll decide as I edit. I'm wondering about a few, but I haven't decided on how much they need fleshed-out yet.
via Safirewriter

9. If you had to do it over again, what would you change about the whole process?
have more time to write... :)

10. Did anything happen in your book that completely surprised you? Have any scenes or characters turned out differently to what you planned? Good or bad?
ha. I got to chapter 3 before I realized there were chimeras in the story. So that was kind of a complete surprise. XD
And I was quite a few chapters further in before I figured out a particular character was in love with another. (Very much unplanned there. But don't mess with my OTPs.)
I don't know what readers will think, but I say those are all good.
Bad...I didn't realize Ellian's little sister and Ellian's ex-schoolmate-turned-villain would get so little page-time. Really, they deserve more. And I'm not sure what I think about how that story-line wrapped up. I should probably give it some time and come back to it later. XD

11. What was the theme and message? Do you think it came across? If not, is there anything you could do to bring it out more?
truth, love, and grace triumphant against evil...which sounds rather grandiose. I just wrote a story, but that is the theme that seems to have come together in the writing of it. Those who have read it so far seem to have gotten the main idea. XD

12. Do you like writing with a deadline (like NaNoWriMo) or do you prefer to write-as-it-comes?
*sigh* I have too many other deadlines in my life to write with one. That's why I don't. (Also why I did not take the route of full-time writer. I never wanted to have to write. Which somehow led me to med school where I barely get to write... XD)

13. Comparative title time! What published books, movies, or TV shows are like your book? (Ex: Inkheart meets X-Men, etc.)
Oy. Things it reminds me of...Dark Angel (a show I'd thankfully never heard of until I was mostly done with CTTT...the similarities in ideas, though not in execution of the ideas, is rather impressive)...The Shadow Things (Jennifer Freitag - in level of violence/age appropriateness/some thematic elements, though the story and style itself are quite different. XD) and other that that...I will have to think about this one... XD

14. How do you celebrate a finished novel?!
Read it.  Then tell other people and make them read it... ;) aaaaaand apparently I then jump into editing it. And writing a sequel. (I was only going to write one book about these characters. *sigh*)

15. When people are done reading your book, what feeling do you want them to come away with?
Bittersweet joy in life and humanity and a renewed sense of sin's evilness and awe of God's grace.  If they feel any part of that, I will be happy. :)


via Safirewriter

2 thoughts shared:

Kate Gold said...

Hey, I'm Kate. I blog over at http://majesticgoldenrose.weebly.com. I'm 15 and love writing although school has a tendency to get in the way. :( That said, I'm quite unpublished as far as my writing goes, and really would appreciate a co-writer to help me where my writing is less strong.

The current book I am working at is a historical romance (post civil war) of a girl whose twin brother (and the families financial support) suddenly dies of sickness and suddenly Emma, the female MC, has to get a job.

I'm currently looking for a co writer, to help my finish, edit, and ultimately publish this book. It's a huge commitment that I'm asking for, but if you are interested, please please get back to me and I'd love to share what I have written so far for us to work at.

You can either leave a comment on a blog post, or email my at (blogusername) at yahoo dot com

Thanks :)

Happy New Year,
Kate

Katherine Sophia said...

Hi Kate! Thank you for asking! Unfortunately, med school is pretty much my life at the moment, and writing is what I snatch spare moments to do - I do not have time to put in the effort my own work requires, and while I've done that kind of writing help before and very much enjoyed it, I don't think I'd be a good choice for you at the moment. :) I hope you find a good match - best wishes on your story! (Although, I warn you - school only gets more in the way as you get older. :P Write as much as you can now! :D)
~Katherine

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails