Monday, November 10, 2014

Beautiful Books - for my Not-NaNo...


Be honest: how is your writing going? 
err...slowly? *cough* XD I'm two years into it now...but it's still going? :) I like the story so far, and I'm just trying to get an ending that will make me happy now. 

What’s your first sentence/paragraph? 
“Ow.”
Ellian Roya got painfully to his feet, wincing at the impact on his knees. “That’ll be a bruise tomorrow,” he said aloud, then glanced again at the street, his senses warning him something was wrong.
Do you have a book cover, and/or pictures that reflect your book? 
that's my favorite right now... XD (I'd probably remove the angels part if I was begging my secret cover designer to do it now (actually she's not secret; you too can have a cover just like you pictured) but this was a while ago. I still haven't quite figured out a back cover blurb that makes sure people don't think the book is about spiritual warfare...)

Do you have pictures of each of your characters? If not, describe them for us! (Be as descriptive as you can.)
Oh, of course I have pictures. And you've probably seen them all before...but oh, well. Not only do I have pictures, I have two versions. And sometimes I can't decide which version I like better better. 

Ellian Roya: (he's not a twin. but you get the idea even better this way. XD)
 

and his sister Oliva:

(apparently that hat runs in the family...)

Echo Fire
(the hat again. and she's not even related)

and her twin sister Phoenix:

Tylar Song
(boo, he only gets 1 picture. I have a bunch of what he'd look like when he's older, but none at the age where he is in the story.)

Fae/Lissy
(not perfect...but the closest I've found)


Rui:
(and the best picture I have of him is STILL this one...you'll understand if you read it. XD)

Ja-Il


Dante 



Hae-Jin
except not blue eyes. 

Kang-Dae
(what's hilarious is that he's got black and white hair all through this story. But his real hair is red, so...)


Petra


















(this time the blue eyes are right)
What scene are you most excited to write? 
Right now it's the ending. I really want to see how it comes together and if I can finally find an ending that I can live with. I've got like 3 right now, but I'm not satisfied with them. XD

Share a snippet or a scene that you really enjoyed writing
but I've enjoyed all of it...okay, here. *tries to pick something not terribly spoilery* hmmm...okay, this is the middle of a scene I enjoyed writing...it's ridiculous how hard it is to find something when you've got more than 70 chapters...


“I think,” she said slowly, “in the hope that He would become your God also.”He felt a snarl bubbling up and he laughed softly, bitterness threading through his voice, his eyes fastened upon her face. “Am I even human that He could be my God? Am I not rather an animal, with the heart of a devil and guise of angel?”A moment she hesitated, and in that moment he saw the pity in her eyes. One lithe wrist slipped from the chains almost of its own accord. She had stepped too near the animal that he was, and the next instant his hand was at her throat, long fingers wrapping about that dainty thing like the claws of a bird.He ducked his head beneath the chain he had loosened around his shoulders, and then he was sitting up, pulling her closer, the air to her lungs entirely cut off by his grasp.“Dare you call me human?” he whispered, then screamed it aloud, and the surge that swept through him could not be controlled. His wings unfurled in a violent shimmering of feathers, and the edges slammed against the opposite walls of the room, sending plates and supplies crashing to the floor.



Now that you're writing, have any of the plot details, or the process itself, turned out different from what you planned or imagined? 
Oh, quite a lot of it did! It went from being a silly time-travel story, rather more heavy on the romance than I quite knew what to do with, to a shockingly serious exploration of a lot of issues I hadn't even imagined were involved. Also what romance there is is completely different now. And way less a focus of the story.

Is there a character or aspect of your plot that's difficult to write? 
Oh, yah. On the one hand, it's been a pretty easy story. And It Was Love drove me up the wall while I was writing it...this one has generally flowed far more easily than I anticipated. I've done a lot more pausing and re-writing sections than I have for any earlier books, but I think it's made the story a lot stronger and helped keep me on track.
But despite that ease, I know once I get it fully written there are going to be a lot of scenes I need to really weigh and decide what exactly they're adding and if I can describe things in a way that won't traumatize my readers too much. (Since not everyone is in medical school and read things like Foxe's Book of Martyrs when they were children.)

What’s your favorite aspect of this novel so far? 
The characters. :) and their relationships with each other. Everyone is so different but I love how they all care about each other and I'm not even quite sure how I'd pick which relationship I like best.

Favorite character? 
I...can't...pick...I guess my top favorites would be Ellian, Echo, Ja-Il, and Hae-Jin, just because of how much I enjoyed writing them...and maybe I know who my top favorite is...but I'm not telling. XD

Have you drawn off of any life experiences or people you know to create your novel and characters? 
Really, probably more so for this one than for my previous books. Despite the fact that this is a science fantasy involving time travel and genetic engineering. XD But I've used so many things from classes I've taken the past few years, from embryology to psychology, and with one of the characters having diabetes, I've used stuff from my family quite a bit for that. (Echo is very much like someone in my family in that regard - any time she can pretend she doesn't have diabetes, she does so. Which is very not good for her overall health.)
And the whole thing started with me getting chicken pox, so there you go. XD


Do you have a playlist or certain song for your novel and/or characters? 
Oh, I have a massive playlist. Way too long. 
It includes songs from this:
to this... 


and these lyrics could have been written as Echo's theme song.

When darkness falls,
Pain is all,
The Angel of Darkness
will leave behind,
and I will fight.
The love is lost,
beauty and light,
have vanished from
garden of delight.
The dreams are gone,
midnight has come,
the darkness is our new kingdom. 

Hunt goes on,
deep in the night,
time to pray,
down on your knees,
you can't hide from the
eternal light,
until my last
breath I will fight( I will fight...)
Now realize, the stars they die,
darkness has fallen in paradise.
but we'll be strong, and we will fight,
against the creatures of the night.

Angel of darkness
Angel of darkness
The world is in your hand,
But I will fight until the end.
Angel of darkness
Angel of darkness
Don't follow your command,
But I will fight and I will stand.

Let’s have some fun for a moment: imagine you are somehow transported into your book’s world. Which character are you most likely to be found hanging out with? 
Oy...there are two definite halves to Makul in my book's world...CTTT takes place almost entirely on the half that basically involves running for your life 24/7. (The sequel that I'm already planning is far more equally split between the two halves, which means we get to see how the regular people live, not just the rebels.)
Just generally speaking, the characters really don't do a lot of hanging out. So I guess I'd hope to end up with Echo, because I'm pretty sure she'd try to keep me alive. If I managed to get to Ellian's part of the story, then it's Olivia all the way - I think I'd have fun with her, and she definitely does spend a lot of time hanging out with people. XD

How do you keep yourself motivated to finish your daily wordcount? (Pinterest? Internet breaks? Chocolate?) 
Heh. Not a thing. Writing is my break, and usually it's like I write a paragraph every other week and then suddenly sit down and write 5 chapters. :P

What’s your favorite writing quote or piece of writing advice? 
Oh, so many good quotes...I think my favorite piece of writing advice is just write. I was probably 20 before I started thinking of myself as a writer, and that was when my writing actually took off. Allowing myself to *be* a writer and write when I had a chance instead of boxing that part of me off for when I had time for it made a huge difference...but I still have to remind myself to just write stuff. I might not be happy with how it sounds or my current skill level, but I can write and I can enjoy it and every time I try another story I get better at writing. 
You're not going to write War and Peace the first time you sit down. (Actually, please don't...one I think is enough...XD) But if you want to write...then do it. Write the best that you can and then go read authors who know what they're doing and then write some more. 
That's the best advice I've ever gotten. :) 

How does this book make you feel so far? Are you laughing? Crying? Frustrated?
all of the above? :D actually, it's really surprised me how much I enjoy reading over it. The whole this-is-horrible-what-made-me-think-I-could-write hasn't hit me yet, and I've been working on this for a solid 2 years now. (You guys have got to be sick of hearing about this story...sorry...) It's at 131,000 words right now, which fills me with dread whenever I think of editing it...but I'm still enjoying it. So. :D
This book makes me happy. And then very sad. And then happy again. XD



8 thoughts shared:

Cait said...

Woooow, 131K?!! WOW. That will be a difficult one to edit all up, right?! hehe. It sounds and looks fabulous, and I loved all your pictures. But that writing advice? WONDERFUL. *nods* I totally agree. I also heard someone once say "stop saying you're an 'aspiring writer'...if you write, you're a writer". And I love that. Not being published or whatnot doesn't make you any less of a writer, eh?! It's one of my favourite quotes.
Thanks for linking up with us!

Heather said...

It sounds like a great story! I love how many pictures you posted. The twins especially look awesome! :D

Rachel W. said...

Ok, wow. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the premise of your book (Well, as I've been able to determine it from this post). And your pictures. Those are some great pictures (lol you took a lot of final fantasy characters, it looks like. XD aweseome). Good luck with finishing/editing. ;)

Katherine Sophia said...

Thank you for the link-up, Cait - I always enjoy them! :D And yes, all my books are too long...but I have too much fun. XD

Thank you, Heather! I got a bit carried away on the pictures. But pinterest, you know. And I just like my characters faces. XD

Thans, Rachel! The funny thing is I just kind of picked up the final fantasy pictures one after the other, realizing that this one or that one fit one or the other of my characters - I haven't even had time in the past few months to even really look into what FF IS. :D And thanks - I'll need it! XD

Jack said...

I am excited for your book. And sad. Sad because it isn't in print yet, and I don't like waiting for good books.

Katherine Sophia said...

:D I plan on being worse than Megan Whalen Turner, and coming out with a book ever 10 years or so...now I just have to figure out how to make mine as brilliant as hers. XD
But thank you!! And I apologize. It'll be a while before it's in print. ;)

Ashton said...

Apparently I never commented, but I'm really, *really* excited to read this book. I liked the snippet. *grins*

Katherine Sophia said...

:D thanks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails