Tuesday, June 17, 2014

.



I saw a baby robin today. All creams and browns and an attempt at orange nearly as laughable as the feathers that stuck awkwardly out all over his body. A light summer breeze caught half-heartedly at the branch and he tipped sideways, strangely-feathered wings beating furiously in a desperate attempt to keep his balance. From below, one of his parents watched, a sleek Robin Red-breast unruffled by the wind. The breeze stilled and the baby shook the branch, his own weight making the branch bounce beneath him. 

I smiled, turning away from the patient’s window and straightening my short white coat, pockets bulging with otoscope and ophthalmoscope, my stethoscope hanging tangled around my neck like some sterile attempt at strangulation. Awkwardly attempting to balance my pen, paper, and instruments while shaking the patient’s hand, I quickly stepped back out of the way. My preceptor stood beside me, no white jacket, a stethoscope carelessly draped around his neck as if it were part of himself, expertly placing a massive folder of patient information as he greeted the patient and seated himself beside the wheelchair.

A few minutes later, a flutter of movement caught my eye. The baby robin jumped from his branch, fluttering furiously. Up, up up…and then he came spiraling around and down into a smashing crash-landing on another branch. But this one was a few inches higher than the one he’d left, and I turned my attention back to my preceptor and patient, smiling slightly. 

We’ll get there someday, he and I. 




7 thoughts shared:

ashleewillisauthor said...

Beautiful!

Katherine Sophia said...

thank you. :)

Joy said...

Oh this so beautiful, Katherine! I love it. . . you write so well :)


I know I have been a bit absent on your blog, but, I hoping your writing and medical studies are going good :)).

By the by, last Thursday, my blog, Fullness of Joy had its 3rd birthday :). To celebrate the event, I am hosting a blog-party of "special magnificence" throughout the week, and as a cherry-top icing a fun giveaway for three winners to end it all. It will be a week long tag series, with every day or so I'll be making different literary-themed topic tags, about different genres such as the classics, fantasy, mystery, children's, etc . . which everyone can join in with. And I am dearly hoping you would - it would thrill me very much and also it should prove some fun, I think :)

Today's topic is "Historical Classics" :)

http://joy-live4jesus.blogspot.com.au/2014/06/through-looking-glass-blog-birthday.html?m=1

I hope you can join!

Bound and Freed said...

Yep.

Katherine Sophia said...

Thank you! :) I'm so glad you liked it.




And thank you, Joy, for letting me know...blogger has been not very helpful lately, so I haven't been able to see much at all. This looks really fun! :D

Jessica Greyson said...

That was FABULOUS!!!!! *sniffs* I love it! <3 <3 <3

Katherine Sophia said...

:) thank you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails