Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Highlights of 2013

Bless the LORD, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless his holy name. Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits..

This may be a sign among you, that when your children ask their fathers in time to come, saying, What mean you by these stones? 7Then you shall answer them...

I have always loved the idea of standing stones and their meaning...and not forgetting what God has done is something on which I think we need to place more importance. So here I go through 2013! :) If 2012 was the year of small things...2013 was a year of big things. 

I applied to medical school, and each of the recommendation letters I was given was perfect and my application actually came together in time and just as it needed to be, with help from my mom and several lovely people at my college.

My interview was a hundred answers to prayer (including the fact that one of my interviewers has since read and loved my book, a miracle in itself).

It was followed by my acceptance into medical school, both a miracle (and no, I'm not just throwing that word around...my life itself is a miracle, given that I and my siblings were never even supposed to be born) and a confirmation of what I have been heading towards for the past 7 years. 

My first book was published - with everything from an awesome illustrator to getting endorsements from Jill Williamson and Regina Doman being entirely answers to prayer. (Those from Sarah Mally and Jessica Greyson were added blessings that made my happiness complete. XD God is sooo good.) 

Speaking of books, one I love was published this year...the finished product was definitely an answer to prayer, as I had been been reading it as it was written and praying for its brilliant author, Mirriam Neal, and for her gift to glorify God - Monster is gorgeous. 

While on the topic of books, there is another delightful author I pray for often whose second book was just published...I'm ridiculously proud of her and happy to say my little sister is lying in bed right now, laughing out loud over the beginning of Captive of Raven Castle. Again...God is good. 

After being accepted into medical school came an answer to the desperate prayers of my mom (and me :) - the provision of an incredible place to live with a marvelous family who have blessed my life in a million ways. 

And then I actually started medical school, which was terrifying and incredible and taught me far more than I was expecting to learn about life and prayers and miracles in general...after nearly dying of homesickness and then getting wretchedly sick-sick during finals week, I still passed what some call the hardest class in medical school - Foundations of Medicine. I called that good and a miracle and went on a whirlwind tour of visiting my horribly missed family that weekend.

The second course, Skin/MusculoSkeletal, was far easier - which ended up making it harder, as "easy" in med school is all relative, and some of my attempts at studying were definitely the wrong way to go about learning. I struggled far more than I should have, and when the final came...you may have noticed I was somewhat absent from blog-world, besides this post...[which, for those of you praying - I got 90% on that Monday test...managed to get a patient history in that afternoon, thought it was iffy for a while (even got the write-up turned in on time...it was good)...did ridiculously well on that Dreaded Lab Exam, which made me entirely happy, you better believe (I had finished everything but the final test and I was passing the class!)...] 
But I was not feeling strong...at all...A week of solid studying and 16 weeks of studying in general and skimping on sleep had left my brain in a fog that I struggled through during the entire test. And when I reached the end of four hours and finally clicked submit and saw my score...I walked out in a daze. There was no way I had done so badly...but I had. And there was nothing more I could do. It was a rough week until at last I was notified that the test had been revised and I had actually passed - a miracle I thought so unlikely to occur I had scarcely dared to ask for it. I used to say I lived my life by miracles...until suddenly realizing how little I knew about living by miracles and how amazing my God is to prove Himself strong through my weakness. 

So much has happened this year...I am learning to live by faith and not by sight...to trust that when He says all things work together for good He means it. I have met some amazing people, those I live with and my 'colleagues' at the med school, and gotten to know some people I knew before better - I am soo thankful for my friends, both those I see often and those I have not yet met face-to-face. I've discovered what it's like to no longer live with your family (there are definitely a few things I hate about growing up...thank You, God, that they're only a few hours away from me), and come to appreciate their amazingness more than ever before. I'm figuring out how to balance the future and the present  and the past (all hopes and dreams firmly grounded in reality, no regrets...it's definitely still in the figuring out process :). The goodness of God endureth continually, and it is such an incredible thing to follow His call and see that He is faithful to do it. 

Thanks be to God for another year and all He has done in my life and others. I am looking forward to 2014. :D

And thank you guys for being awesome - it's weird to think I've been blogging for 5 years and 6 months and everything I've learned from other bloggers and how we have changed each other's lives. Aren't you excited to see what comes next? XD


0 thoughts shared:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails