Monday, September 23, 2013

I am Music


I insisted to myself I would not join Amy's Celebrate Musicals Week all last week (no time, lack of extensive musical knowledge, no time, difficulty in finding clips, no time...), but then I found myself listening to one of my favorite musical songs on repeat, and went...why not? Given a rather unavoidable scarcity of time (did I mention I don't have very much of it? :P), my posts may be astonishingly short, but there will be three of them. XD 

Anyway, Amy mentioned the fact that there is a finite number of musicals to choose from, which is certainly true, but this list is greatly expanded when one goes to other languages. :) (Some of you knew  I was going there, didn't you? XD) 

This musical I picked is certainly NOT one of my favorite musicals (I'm hoping to do Amy's lovely tag this Friday, and explain more then), but has several songs I thought it would be fun to share with you. :) The musical is Mozart! a German musical with a strangely modern take on Mozart. Normally I really don't like those things, and it is seriously weird to see a Mozart in ragged jeans and dreads (not to mention the earring), but I came across the Korean version early this year, and something about Kim Junsu's portrayal of the brilliant musician I found fascinating. (It made me go find my Mozart CDs and listen to them, for one thing. XD)

Perhaps my favorite song from the musical is I Am Music. Other than the first line (*ahem*). Parts of it say rather perfectly what I feel about writing, while at the same time it is also the heart-wrenching plea of a boy-genius, lost in his own ability and not entirely knowing what exactly he is supposed to do with himself. 




Anyway, little time or not, I'd love to hear your thoughts...are there any musicals you like that have no English version? :)





4 thoughts shared:

Tabitha E. said...

Dil Bole Hadippa and Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi are great ones from India.

Miss Melody Muffin said...

*CHEERING AND CLAPPING THAT YOU ARE JOINING!!!!!*


Of course I knew you were going there! :)

*MORE SCREAMING AND CLAPPING WHEN I SEE WHAT MUSICAL YOU HAVE CHOSEN!!!!!*

Ok, I will settle down and be rational now. :D

Yes, yes, YES!!!!!!!! I cannot thank you enough for having introduced me to this musical and this magnificent song! Especially the Korean version. :D :D (Confession: I've been listening to this song a lot this past week while I was writing my musical posts.)

I am eagerly looking forward to the rest of your posts!!!!!

Jack said...

I've never heard of this one. I think I will have to find the whole thing on youtube or something and listen to some of the songs. (Musicals from other countries are fun to listen to. Someday I want to go to France and watch Les Miserables in French.) And that was my random, half asleep remark.

Katherine Sophia said...

Ooh, I liked Indian musicals before I started watching Kdramas...I will have to check those out, Tabitha! :)

haha, I'm glad you appreciated this, Melody. XD And isn't it just a lovely song? XD I'm so glad you have enjoyed the random things I've introduced you to... XD

Random, half asleep remarks are always appreciated, Jack...most of mine tend to be of that variety. XD Les Miserables in French in France sounds really cool...haha, and if you watch any more of this musical, let me know what you think. XD

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails