Friday, August 31, 2012

The Way of the Sword



Haidong Gumdo


execute justice with the light of the sword that is as majestic and brilliant as the morning sunlight on the east sea

  Korean Battlefield Combat; One Against Many

Gumdo (pronounced more like koomdo) means the way of the sword, and is one of those things to which people have dedicated their entire lives. Because it is a martial art, it is easily transformed from simple sword fight training into a way of life. 

My little brother, receiving his first belt. (He needed a hair cut. :P Please ignore.) He's now working on number five, and my little sister just started. I almost did, too... and then started thinking about medical school and freaked out. Though SOMEDAY I'm going to learn a martial art.

One of my younger brothers  has taken both fencing lessons and gumdo training. (The other brother was more interested in archery and skeet shooting. Go figure.) Watching the gumdo lessons, the way of the sword was quite obvious - in the fencing lessons, not so much. 

Maybe at some point the difference between east and west was not so obvious, back when knights lived by their sword.  But, from what I've seen, those who fence seem to do it as a sport, while many of those who take a martial art (not just gumdo) don't find it something simply to do on weekends. 
It really is a way to live, something that must be incorporated into every aspect of  life if it is to be done correctly. 

Unless, of course, you're a Christian, and have already chosen a different way. 

The Way of the Lord. 

Watching the class and listening to the instructors made me think... So many people are Christians like the fencing students  -  it's something they do at church or when they're around others who have the same interests. Kind of a hobby, one might say... maybe even an expensive hobby, depending on how much you tithe, but a hobby, after all. It's all fun and cool, but enough is enough. I mean, you're not going to wear one of those ridiculous white fencing outfits out in your day-to-day life! 

But like Haidong Gumdo, the Way of the Lord is meant to be an all-encompassing thing that permeates every moment of our existence. Something whose lessons we use in everything we do... something that, if it hasn't changed every fiber of your being, you're not doing it right. 

[And just to clarify, my brother is taking the class with several other Christians, which means it's a whole lot more like the fencing class he took than anything else. And I'm not saying that most martial artists have chosen their martial art as a thing to worship. It's just... something you have to watch for. :) ]


Anyway, just something random it brought to mind.  :)
Beyond that, though... gumdo is awesome. It may be completely wretched of me to say so, but I found it soooo much more incredible to watch 
this: 
seriously... this isn't a picture of one of them, but random people from my town were doing this in the class!
The gym where the class was being taught felt like something straight out of a movie. I was majorly impressed.
Anyone who can cartwheel across the floor with a sword in their hand is awesome in my book. Just sayin'. :D

than this:
*giggle* I am sorry, but... the outfits... *snort*

2 thoughts shared:

Miss Melody Muffin said...

Ooh, I love the opening quote!!

Fascinating insight on fencing vs. martial art! I couldn't agree more with what you said about The Way of the Lord!!

I do enjoy watching fencing but yeah, the outfits are pretty odd. :)

That cartwheel is terrific!!

Thank you for sharing this with us! I pretty much love watching or reading about swordplay of any kind. *grin*

Katherine Sophia said...

I know; isn't that quote cool? :)
Haha, I do love fencing too... I just wish you could learn to do it wearing different outfits. XD
I'm glad you enjoyed it! Heehee, and I think you will also enjoy a certain chapter in AIWL... ;)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails