Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Moonblood

Okay, the dragon claws kinda creeped me out.
I don't think I would have picked it up if I'd
seen it at a bookstore and not read a bunch of
reviews.

I saw so many raving reviews of Anne Elisabeth Stengl's books this spring, when I found out that Bethany House would be sending me a copy of Moonblood to review, I was thrilled. As soon as summer came, I started Moonblood - but soon realized I wanted to know more about everything in the story. So I set Moonblood aside and read Heartless, which I had downloaded on my computer from Amazon, but had not yet taken the time to read - I'd rather read a paper book, any day. But Moonblood was intriguing enough that I wanted to see what happened earlier first. :)

Needless to say, I was pretty disgusted with Prince Lionheart when I came back to Moonblood. (Lionheart? Are you kidding? Keh.) His immediate behavior did not further endear him to me. Which was sad, because I wanted to like him, but instead mostly wanted to slap him. Hard. 

Rose Red frustrated me as well - her stubbornness drove me crazy. Now that I think about it, though, it was rather refreshing to have two such annoying protagonists - usually it seems there is a wonderful heroine come to rescue a trouble hero or the other way around. Here, neither one could rescue the other, because they were both very lost and both fighting hard against the only one who could save either one of them.

While I could see the allegorical slant of the story, I loved the fairy-tale feel of everything more. Stengl did a brilliant job of putting together the world of her books, and to read them is to feel reality shifting beneath the words. That was amazing. 

Besides the Prince of Farthestshore, and Dame Imralda (because who could help liking them?) I loved Eanrin, simply because the good side of that shifting reality was nowhere more obvious than in him. Besides, he was just awesome. :D "After all, one likes to think oneself universally adored, doesn't one?" - I can't speak for universally, but I, at least, certainly liked you, Eanrin!

And Felix as well. ("And why is my cat a man?" Oh, yes, I loved Felix...) He was one of my favorite characters in Heartless as well, so I was quite worried about him for most of Moonblood.  

It's definitely a different book - I can't think of anything I've read quite like it, except, of course, those fairy tales I used to devour as a child. If you don't like fantasy or fairy tales, you probably won't enjoy this... but for those who do, this is a gorgeous fairy tale that touches the truths of faith, forgiveness, and redemption in surprising ways, and one that I think you cannot help but enjoy.

1 thoughts shared:

Katherine Sophia said...

Miss Melody Muffin: Hmm, I've never heard of this author before. This book sounds intriguing. Is there much magic in it? (I'm not against magic, I read LOTR and Narnia, but not Harry Potter.) Does it have any paranormal elements? (Vampires or that sort of thing? I don't like that either.)

I've been looking for a new fantasy series to read, maybe I'll give this one a try!

___________________________________________________

*cough* Sorry, blogger is being weird. Or actually I messed something up. ;) Anyway...

Hmm... magic... Yeah, I've read LOTR and Narnia but not Harry Potter as well.... I guess I found Moonblood's magic - which I think I would say was closer to Narnia's than even to LOTR - to be completely fantastical: so far removed from this world that it didn't bother me. I will say that had I simply seen that cover in a store, I probably wouldn't have picked it up, simply because I don't generally read dark books with dragons on the cover and the word 'blood' in the title. :) It was very fairy-tale-ish... the allegory was maybe not quite as strong as Narnia, but more obvious than LOTR. I saw some reviewers on Amazon were bothered by the Prince of Farthestshore's lack of character development - it didn't bug me, because I saw him as a type of Christ, and it's kinda hard to improve on perfection. :)
As for other stuff... parts were definitely a bit creepy, but it's not like LOTR is entirely without that. :P No vampires, but there are goblins and dragons, and... other things I'm not entirely sure what to call them - they appeared to be something else in one world, while in their home they appeared as they truly were. Which I personally found rather cool, because there is so much more to this world than we see now. :)

Hopefully that helps a little? I guess I would check out her website to learn more about the series if you're interested. I will be interviewing the author shortly, so you can find out more about it here too, though! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails