Friday, April 6, 2012

Truth is a whole lot scarier than fiction...




"Be careful - it's people like you who are going to end up in concentration camps pretty soon here. 
Have a good Easter!"


My mom walked out of the hair salon in more than a little shock today. She'd just had a two hour long conversation with one of the salon employees about it being Good Friday and what Easter was truly about... and that was how he ended the conversation. 

Just think about that statement for a moment. 

People like you - meaning people who believe the Bible when it says Jesus Christ is the Son of God and who want to live as He would have us live. You're obviously a scholar of the Bible the man said at one point in the conversation. 

Are going to end up in concentration camps - this isn't some random creepy hair dressing place in a back alley. This is a hair salon run by someone who helped develop Aveda Hair Coloring, and the person my mom was talking to was a typical resident of this city, though one a bit more educated on Emperor Constantine, the Council of Nicaea, and the events surrounding the Last Supper than most people. He certainly had a different take on them than my mom... but he knew about them. He was quite aware of the present state of the American government... and that it how he sees it.


Be careful: Happy Easter - he wasn't saying all this as if he were angry about the conversation or annoyed with her as a person, but merely as a matter-of-fact statement given how things are shaping up today. 




It's people like you who are going to end up in concentration camps pretty soon here.


Do you really think that day is far away? 


He sure didn't. 




And really, how can you, when articles like this are being published in international peer-reviewed journals for health professionals and researchers in medical ethics? 


Protecting, defending, and caring for children is where my heart lies, and reading something like After-Birth Abortion: Why Should The Baby Live? should be enough to make any of you sick. 


At its base is a completely logical argument - exactly what pro-life people have been saying for decades. 
What changes the day you are born except for your environment? What is the magic moment in which you become a person? Why should it be perfectly fine to kill you one moment when the next it's suddenly wrong? 


The reply? 
Nothing. So there is obviously nothing wrong with killing an infant after it is born either. 


In their own words: 


Abortion is largely accepted even for reasons that do not have anything to do with the fetus' health. By showing that (1) both fetuses and newborns do not have the same moral status as actual persons, (2) the fact that both are potential persons is morally irrelevant and (3) adoption is not always in the best interest of actual people, the authors argue that what we call ‘after-birth abortion’ (killing a newborn) should be permissible in all the cases where abortion is, including cases where the newborn is not disabled.




Unsurprisingly, people responded to the article with outrage. The response of the journal's editor? 


What is disturbing is not the arguments in this paper nor its publication in an ethics journal. It is the hostile, abusive, threatening responses that it has elicited. More than ever, proper academic discussion and freedom are under threat from fanatics opposed to the very values of a liberal society.
What the response to this article reveals, through the microscope of the web, is the deep disorder of the modern world. Not that people would give arguments in favour of infanticide, but the deep opposition that exists now to liberal values and fanatical opposition to any kind of reasoned engagement.


This is our society. 
Infanticide can be morally justified - disagreeing with that idea in a less than scholarly manner the true evil. 


How has such "fanatical opposition" been historically dealt with? Think about it. 


The Holocaust happened in large part because nobody believe it could happen.
Unless we all open our eyes and refuse to be lulled into helpless complacency, what exactly is going to stop another Rwandan genocide, another Holocaust, another Armenian genocide, from occurring? 


Fellow Christians are being tortured to death for their beliefs every day. What is so special about the U.S.? 


Yes, I write fiction, and yes, I have a lot of imagination... but I'm not imagining these things. This is the picture I'm getting from groups as widely varied as medical ethicists (who have a big say in the future of our healthcare, by the way!) and hair salon workers. This is what people are saying.  


To include words often quoted and yet seemingly seldom acted upon,      
all that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
It's hard to act on, for sure. Edmund Burke also said 
nothing is so fatal to religion as indifference 
and that is just as painfully true - I'm definitely talking to myself here, as much as, if not more than, to anybody else.  


But if you are one of "those people" who believe the Bible really is the Word of God - are you living that way? Are you acting on what the Bible says while it's still legal? Are you trying to reach those people who will completely shut themselves off as Christianity comes more and more under attack? 


Jesus came and died on a cross some 2,000 years ago so that we might have life... and that we might have it more abundantly. 
Let us live it then for Him, abundantly, passionately, fully, knowing we have been given this life, in this place, in this time, because there is something here for us to do.  



6 thoughts shared:

Lizzy said...

There are not words to express how much I agree with you. I am confused- knowing that one should never get to the point where you are silent simply because you know you can't change anything, and yet knowing that nothing you can say or do will change anything.

This post came at the right time. Thank you. Right when I was listening to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZvZWUZFevI&feature=g-all-f&context=G287464fFAAAAAAAAGAA

Somehow, in my mind, these things all tie together. I will be doing some studying and praying in these next few days. I need answers to these confusing problems and quandaries I'm facing.

I shared this post link on my Facebook... more people need to realized this is coming, and coming soon. We must all stand together... because otherwise, we will never survive.

Nela said...

Inspiring post, Katherine. That last statement really spoke to my heart. :) Thank-you for sharing your thoughts with us.

The Musical Dancer said...

Amen! ;)

Vicki said...

Wow ... what a post. The quote from your mom's hairdresser is not surprising, per se, but it is shocking and it should act as a wake-up call for us.

I was especially convicted by what you said about reaching people now, while being a Christian is still marginally acceptable, because a day will come when we are persecuted and reviled again; and then it will be much harder for us to reach people.

You're a big encouragement to me, Katherine - it's nice to hear the thoughts of another college student who has some of the same experiences as me (and sees many of the same things going on around her). I will pray for you to be a light on your campus, and I'll try to do the same here. :-)

Thank you so much for this post, my friend!

Love,
Vicki

Jessica said...

This is absolutely terrifying!!!!!! WHAT!!!!! Concentration camps!!! and he has no problem with it?! But I have a feeling he isn't to far from the truth - for all know we could get a Chinese dictator yet...here in a America I mean why not they are basically running America's economy by buying up all our debt and then we buy everything they make...soooo whose to say the tables won't flip? What America needs is a revelation an awakening a revival but who will really rise to the cause? Who will wake the slumbering giant? Or will the giant wake to be a monster that destroys himself? *sigh* This is when I want to get up and so something but I have no idea where to start because I am not good at being an activist, I am good at getting behind people who do stuff but not starting it up on my own. Humph...so I put my head down and write like crazy, because I can't do anything else.

AND INFANTICIDE!!! *cries* How can people do that??????????????? Babies beautiful innocent babies... *scream* It just goes to show you how advanced our society has come. We are getting ready for a world collapse... that was turning point in Greece - then Rome once they start murdering the innocent...their world might as well not exist...the thing is people like that get stuck on the front pages and it is painted in a way that makes it sound like you are an idiot or backwards not to agree or believe it with them, while a good portion of the world feels differently.

How long will things go before there is a revival or has it gone beyond that? Is society so hell bent as not to care anymore?

Katherine Sophia said...

It is such a hard place to be, Lizzy, and so frustrating - and then every time I go it's not going to make any difference, no matter what I do! I remember these verses: O house of Israel, cannot I do with you as this potter? saith the LORD. Behold, as the clay [is] in the potter's hand, so [are] ye in mine hand, O house of Israel. [At what] instant I shall speak concerning a nation, and concerning a kingdom, to pluck up, and to pull down, and to destroy [it]; If that nation, against whom I have pronounced, turn from their evil, I will repent of the evil that I thought to do unto them. And [at what] instant I shall speak concerning a nation, and concerning a kingdom, to build and to plant [it]; If it do evil in my sight, that it obey not my voice, then I will repent of the good, wherewith I said I would benefit them. Now therefore go to, speak to the men of Judah, and to the inhabitants of Jerusalem, saying, Thus saith the LORD; Behold, I frame evil against you, and devise a device against you: return ye now every one from his evil way, and make your ways and your doings good. And they said, There is no hope: but we will walk after our own devices, and we will every one do the imagination of his evil heart. 13 Therefore thus saith the LORD; Ask ye now among the heathen, who hath heard such things: the virgin of Israel hath done a very horrible thing. and I know I can't just give up.
So then I move on to what exactly am I supposed to do then?... Thank you so much for sharing that song - it has been really encouraging to me for some different things I've been thinking about lately.

Thank you, Nela and Helen both, for reading and taking the time to comment! Like Lizzy said, we do need to stand together - which is why your comments were all so encouraging to me!

And I can say the same back to you, Vicki - it really is helpful to be able to read you blog and remember that you and I are both in very similar places. :) And amen to being a light! Let's both be praying that God will show us what He wants us to do and help us to get out and do it!

Exactly, Jessica - I'm much better at getting behind someone who's already got a plan than starting something up on my own. *sigh* And I really don't know how far we've gone - apparently studies have labeled this generation as "the most apathetic," which is truly miserable.
But I think I realized after I put my own head down and wrote like crazy last week - that is something. And words will change the world. But they need to get out there. Even if they just change one person's life... and that's why I am so excited to watch as you move forward with your writing.

Again, thank you all for taking the time to comment here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails