Monday, February 27, 2012

Who is in the details?

Numbers 7. 

That chapter has never failed to leave me asking Why?!?


Why have a chapter filled with one less than 90 verses detailing what the 12 leaders offered? Why not just a short condensed version giving the names of those who offered, leading to "These 12 each gave ____, and the total offerings came to ____." 
Short. Concise. Time and space efficient. 

I mean, the Bible is only so long! So why fill an entire chapter with something so... seemingly pointless? I mean, what on earth does all that have to do with me, now?
And why on earth is it repeated over and over and over and over and... :P 

Last year when I read this chapter, something dawned on me. Maybe each man's sacrifice is listed out separately because that's how God sees it. 
It doesn't matter if I'm giving Him the exact same thing that 11 others have... if I'm serving Him in a way that 100 others are... 
He sees what I'm doing, not just a neat summary of what's going on in the world. 
He sees me. 

That was encouraging. :) But do you know what hit me this year? 

 And when Moses was gone into the tabernacle of the congregation to speak with Him, then he heard the voice of One speaking unto him from off the mercy seat that was upon the ark of testimony, from between the two cherubims: and He spake unto him.

I read that... and wondered why I had never noticed it before. I feel like I've read that chapter so many times I should have the weight of the gold and the number of the lambs memorized... yet I never stopped to think about the verse that finishes the chapter. 

It is far, far too easy to get distracted by the details. How many ounces of gold, how many bowls of incense, how many oxen, how many sheep, who gave what and in what order... 

That stuff is not the point! The point is that when Moses went in to talk to God, God spoke to him from the Mercy seat. 

Emmanuel. God with us. 
He speaks to us... lives in us... is with us always... will never leave us nor forsake us... is a voice in our ears saying this is the way - walk ye in it... 

It is sooo incredibly easy to get caught up in the details of life! To completely miss the point of our days, to skip right past the treasure He is offering us because we're too busy counting sheep! 

He is here. Talking to us. 
May we hear His voice, and not miss seeing Him because of the details that try to suffocate us.

3 thoughts shared:

Carrie said...

Thank you for pointing this out! It is very encouraging and I love learning lessons like this from the Bible.

Vicki said...

Those are two FABULOUS insights on this passage, Katherine Sophia - I wondered the same thing the last time I read through Numbers, and while I didn't come to anything as deep as you (*blush*), I did find it really neat to think about the fact that each of these men were individuals, who had taken time and effort to get the perfect sacrifice and who offered it with joy in their hearts. I especially love what you said about God seeing each of our gifts individually, and that He knows and values the individual sacrifices we make for Him. That's so encouraging!! :-D

Have a wonderful day!

Love,
Vicki

Katherine Sophia said...

I'm glad it was encouraging, Carrie! And thank you for letting me know! :)

Thank you, too, Vicki! :) It is such a cool thing to think about... He is amazing. :)

Hope you both are having a beautiful week!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails