Thursday, May 19, 2011

Living With Confidence in a Chaotic World by Dr. David Jeremiah


"Do you have a regular meeting in your home? Do you say 'Amen'? Do you pray? Do you say 'Praise the Lord'?" 
"Yes," the pastor's wife replied - she was the one who answered the door. 
The city official went on to tell the pastor's wife that the Bible study they held in their home was in violation of local ordinances. A few days later the couple received a written warning that listed "unlawful use of land" and warned them to "stop religious assembly or apply for a major use permit" - a process that could cost tens of thousands of dollars in legal and other fees.
              - condensed from Living with Confidence in a Chaotic World

Not surprising, is it? I'm pretty sure everyone knows this is happening in many countries around the world, countries where it is dangerous to worship the Lord. People are not allowed to have religious assemblies there. But this particular incident occurred in San Diego, California, two years ago. Does that surprise you? The world is indeed growing more chaotic – and there is a greater need that ever for people to be living confidently for Christ.

The cover of the book says What on earth should we do now? and that is the question Dr. Jeremiah addresses inside. After a brief introduction come 10 straightforward chapters: 


-        Stay Calm
-        Stay Compassionate
-        Stay Constructive
-        Stay Challenged
-        Stay Connected
-        Stay Centered
-        Stay Confident
-        Stay Consistent
-        Stay Committed
-        Stay Convinced 

The titles may provide a concise summary, but they do not quite show all that went into taking Biblical principles and explaining how to apply them in the midst of increasing chaos in an easy-to-understand manner, while illustrating each point with a story or an example. It was well done.

I don't read a lot of non-fiction, especially when I have three textbooks to memorize every week, but David Jeremiah looked safe, and I figured I'd try it out. I’m glad I did. Living with Confidence was the only non-fiction book I read during the school semester, and it held my attention all the way through. I really appreciated his use of Bible verses throughout, keeping the book based on God’s Word. Also, given all the difficult material I was already reading, I was glad he made it simple. His writing style is enjoyable and interesting. (Of course, anyone who would go through the global crises that happened in the past year and match them up with letters of the alphabet – and then say “How that will come in handy, I have no clue” – is probably going to click with me. :) I definitely recommend it to any Christian who would like some encouragement in living confidently.


(Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the BookSneeze®.com <http://BookSneeze®.com> book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 <http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_03/16cfr255_03.html> : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”)

0 thoughts shared:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails