Wednesday, December 22, 2010

The Day Of Judgement

You know I like to dramatize things... so it should come as no surprise that as I found myself preparing for my last three tests, realizing the ridiculousness of a finals week where you could go from an A to a C or worse by one test grade, I found myself thinking...

This is like Judgement Day.


This is where your semester is judged... where your study habits, your use of time, the people you found to tutor you, everything you have done in the past 16 weeks - is weighed in the balance. 

I was found wanting...
and saw the mercy of God so clearly I was dumbstruck. 

I missed the grade I had to have by less than 1%... and I went to the professor in fear and trembling. 

I had nothing to say, nothing to plead with. My grade in Organic Chemistry stunk. I had missed what I needed by so little... but by no matter how much, I had missed it - and there was no way I could make it up now.

He very kindly went over my final with me, twice, and found perhaps two points he could maybe allow me as grading errors... but that was not at all enough to change my grade. 

So he looks at it, looks at me, then scrawls a new grade across my test and hands it back. 
"Have a good break."

And that was it.


Y'know? We completely missed the mark in life. That's what the word sin means. But when we come to the Father and acknowledge that we have not made the grade, though we are without excuse - He simply gives it to us. He has already done the work, already completed the course. And in His merciful lovingkindness He simply writes a new grade on our paper and gives it back to us. 

Is not our God marvelous and wonderful and altogether perfect and lovely and beautiful and so incredibly amazing that we cannot comprehend it? 


In Awe of my Savior,

6 thoughts shared:

MAZZOU said...

Thank you for checking out my blog! And I AM glad the cranberry cake recipe was there for you! Yes! Try it- we love it! Reduce the amount of cranberries if you need to, though!
Merry Christmas!

Leah Marie said...

so he passed you?
that's so true. i like that word picture. :]
i hope you guys have a merry christmas! are you going to be home or "home"?

De Facto said...

It never ceases to amaze me how God teaches you (and me when I read your blog entries about) about Him through everyday life experiences. It is a prayer of mine that He would open my heart, mind, and eyes to see the life lessons He's been trying to teach me through my own experiences.

The verse that comes to mind when I read the fact that you missed your desired grade by %1 in light of the life lesson learned was James 2:10, "And whosoever keepeth the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it." Good thing 1 John 1:9 says that, "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us of all unrighteousness." God is awesome like that.

Thank you for yet another lesson shared, be blessed,
De Facto

Jessica said...

BEAUTIFUL!!! AMAZING!!!! WONDERFUL!!!!!!!! YAY!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for sharing this beautiful analogy! He is amazing.

Wendy said...

What a great analogy! And Praise the Lord for a merciful prof, too.
Got your family's card today, and loved your photo.
Hope you all have a Very Merry Christmas (because of Jesus),
Mrs. Gunn

Katherine Sophia said...

Thanks, Mazzou! And Merry Christmas to you too! :)

He did, Leah... and I'm very glad he's going to be my professor next semester too! :D haha... and I'm going to be at all THREE of my homes... hopefully down here for a while so I can ride my horse etc, but I'm also super excited to go up and spend some more time with my grandparents and hopefully shadow some more doctors. :)

It has been amazing me, too, De Facto... He is so good! And James 2:10 is so perfectly illustrated by that! God is incredibly awesome like that...
Thank you for another thoughtful comment!

Exactly, Jessica... yay it is!!! :D and *whew* :)

Thank you, Mrs. Gunn! I hope your family has a wonderful Christmas also!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails