Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Speaking of Cars... (Check out the end of the post) :D

zwani.com myspace graphic commentsOk, this post came from this post and following comment. :)

Also, if you've ever heard the illustration about giving God the keys to your life and then not grabbing the steering wheel away from Him? That too.



I always like that illustration... but I could never quite picture how it would be done.

See, for me, turning over the car keys and moving from driver's seat to passenger seat means checking out. As far back as I can remember (well, since getting out of car seats), I've brought books along to read in the car. And I will read the whole way. Or talk.
Either way, I don't pay attention to where we're going or how we're getting there. (Which is why I have issues finding my way places I've been a hundred times before - I have no idea how we got there, since I wasn't paying attention.) :P

So just giving God the keys didn't always quite make sense to me.
Because we still have to do things, right?
I'm not just "along for the ride" of life because, in a sense, if I do nothing in my life, nothing will happen.

Yes, sometimes we must "Stand still, and see the salvation of the Lord," but sometimes God says to us, "Wherefore criest thou unto me? Go forward."


And that's where I started looking at the comparisons between cars and life.

At birth we're all given our own life - our own car.
zwani.com myspace graphic comments

We can drive them wherever we choose, but only one road leads to our desired destination. No matter how hard we try to find our way by other routes, how long we look, how firmly we believe we're going the right direction, there is only one way that will work.

Jesus said, "I am the Way."

But He did not just tell us that. He left a road map with us so that we could find and follow the way - Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth. It tells us everything we need to know about getting to Heaven.

Besides that, once we start using our map and begin driving the right way, we get GPS as well - the One who teaches us all things and brings all things to our remembrance. (I'm hoping there are some GPS's that feature a male voice... not a big fan of picturing the Holy Spirit as a woman, Asian or otherwise.)
zwani.com myspace graphic comments

One thing about cars, these have no backseats. No matter what family we've come from, what kind of car we got, all are equally capable of making it to Heaven. If our parents' cars are going the right way, we can't hide in the back of the van - we have to drive our own car. But if our parents' cars smashed up at some point, that need not prevent us from driving on the right road. God keeps our cars running and is fully able to bring any car home to heaven. On our own we would break down immediately, but if we are driving for Him, He will get us to His house.
Or you could say that we crash our cars as soon as we get them, and salvation is like God giving us a brand new car so that we can safely make it home...
(I can stretch this pretty far if you let me...) :D

We need the help of others (it is not good that the man should be alone) - we wouldn't get very far without gasoline and oil changes and new windshield-wiper fluid...

The dirt of the road often splashes up against us, but we only need that new car once - the dirt will wash off the new car as long as the wreck of the old one has been hauled away.

And I should stop here before this post gets ridiculously long, as all my posts seem to become... If you want to add any more you think of, feel free! :)


Seeking Him as I drive His car His way by His directions...
Oh, and if you want to think about God being in perfect control and being able to work all things out for good... watch this video if you haven't already seen it. :D Pretty cool... info on how long it took them to be able to do that is here.

2 thoughts shared:

Jessica said...

This is AWESOME!

Jessica

Katherine Sophia said...

I had fun with it. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails