Wednesday, November 3, 2010

O my Lord, I am not eloquent, neither heretofore, nor since thou hast spoken unto thy servant: but I am slow of speech, and of a slow tongue.
And the Lord said unto him, Who hath made man's mouth? or who maketh the dumb, or deaf, or the seeing, or the blind? Have not I the Lord? Now therefore go, and I will be with thy mouth, and teach thee what thou shalt say.

I've read this verse many times before... just got kind of annoyed at Moses's continued stupidity... and moved on.

This week I suddenly paused.

I am not eloquent, wasn't before I got saved, am not now, despite my longing to become so.
I am slow of speech, and of a slow tongue; I never think of what to say until I've missed my chance.

Suddenly God's answer to Moses became His answer to me.


For years I have wanted to be better at talking to people.
To have the "gift of people-speech" if you will.
To be naturally out-going, extroverted, and talkative.

But I'm not.

I wasn't made that way.

And it's okay.


Do you know what I learned this week?

There is a less than 1 in 64 trillion chance that you would end up with the exact set of genes that you have.

Can you comprehend that?
How many variations of you there could have been? How one allele changed would have resulted in a different person?

Yet God planned which genes from your parents would become you.

And if He made me how I am, when He had about 64 trillion other choices right there at conception, He must want me the way He made me.

I don't have to be a fascinating conversationalist or a brilliant speaker. God could have easily made me (or Moses) really good at talking to people.

But He didn't, because He wants to teach us what to say.

He doesn't want us off doing our own thing and thinking we're marvelous. He wants us to know when He is speaking through us so that we can glorify Him. He will be with us and be our mouth. And isn't that better than having my own talented one?!
(And obviously, for those who are really good speakers, God made you that way for a reason too! You have other things that God teaches you to do. :)

Y'know, at first Moses depended on his brother to speak for him.
But as you read through Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy, pretty soon you see that he's talking himself - and doing pretty good at it, too.

As I continue to follow God, He will teach me what to say about Him to those around me.
And is not His plan always so much better than the easier path of natural ability that I would have chosen?


Isn't God good?
:)

0 thoughts shared:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails