Thursday, October 14, 2010

Trip-Trap



I love fairy tales.


I grew up reading anthology after anthology...
book set after book set.


One that I never really like a whole lot was The Three Billy Goats Gruff. But it was read aloud to me quite a few times when I was really little (although my mom always tried to skip the pages with the troll - he was too ugly) :) and I think I have trip trap, trip trap, trip trap embedded in my brain.

The other day we were out for a walk and crossed a small wooden bridge... which of course brought up that story. And then I started talking about why I love fairy tales... and realized that even this one was a beautiful illustration.


There is a bridge we all have to cross someday - we cannot live here forever, and that bridge leads to a land more beautiful than you can imagine. 


But under that bridge lives a troll. And there is no way we can hope to escape him, for he is big and mean and ugly and loves nothing more than eat those little goats attempting to cross the bridge. 


Yet there is still away we can cross over! Our Older Brother is in every way able to conquer that troll and make the way safe for us. Unlike in the tale, however, He goes before us, and we need only follow.


For whom He did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn of many brethren.
And He is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things He might have the preeminence.  
For surely it is not angels he helps, but Abraham's descendants. For this reason he had to be made like his brothers in every way, in order that he might become a merciful and faithful high priest in service to God, and that he might make atonement for the sins of the people.
For whosoever shall do the will of God, the same is my brother, and my sister, and mother.

Isn't that incredible? That we could be called His brother, His sister? And walking across a wooden bridge by a waterfall was such a perfect place to be reminded of my Savior and what He has done for me!


Amazed by Him,

4 thoughts shared:

Squeaks said...

That's cute lol XD I completely forgot about this fairytale until you started explaining it; my mom must have read it to me when I was little.

I too own several anthologies of fairytales and I LOVE them all XD They're really quite the works of art :P

Squeaks.

Leah Marie said...

:]

Jessica said...

This is absolutely beautiful comparison Kate. So perfect. I love the way your mind works with these things.

Thank you!

Jessica

Katherine Sophia said...

Aren't fairytales amazing, Squeaks? :) And I find it fascinating to see the similarities between different cultures... although you mostly see that in the oooold myths and stuff, which most of my fairytale anthologies included. Anyway. :D

:) Leah. XD lol

Haha, my mind works in the strangest ways sometimes... but that was pretty fun. Thank you Jessica!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails