Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Flip-flops











Don't those look good? :) I'm hungry for sugar cookies now... But that was not what I had to say...


Thursday was such a beautiful day... Reveling in the beauty of orange, red, and golden tree-covered hills against the blue September sky that is my favorite of all shades of blue, I walked home from school, wondering why I was wearing knee-high boots and brown wintery-warm clothes in such gorgeous weather. Months and months of that kind of thing lie before me... why would I start earlier than absolutely necessary? (I love boots, but still, in eight months I might be royally sick of them. Maybe.)
So, Friday morning, I hurriedly dressed, slipped into a pair of flip-flops and headed off. It was a little cold, but it was morning - by afternoon I'd be plenty warm, right?

Wrong.

When I got out of class, it was sprinkling outside. By the time I'd gotten fairly started on my 1/2 mile walk, it was raining. And of course this was the one day no one could pick me up... so I was stuck with a wet walk.

And it was wet.
(and cold too) :P

The water running across the sidewalk ran right through my shoes - although I'm not sure I still count flip-flops as belonging in that category.
Particularly wet foam flip-flops with plastic tops that cut between your toes as you slide your way home.
Actually, by the time I reached our front yard, my knees hurt from the step-slip action I had going.

No wonder I never wear flip-flops.
:)


Later thinking about what poor footwear those things actually make (Running across the road, anyone? Protecting your feet from anything? Being good for your feet in any way, shape or form?) I suddenly thought of this verse:

And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;
Ephesians 6:15

Flip-flops weren't the best choice for walking a mile, half of it in the rain.

But how many times do I go out to battle in this world shod with something similar?

The rest of the amor sounds so much more important! We make sure we have the helmet of salvation... and the sword of the Spirit makes Bible memorization more exciting. Faith and righteousness - well, obviously we need to make sure we have them. They prove we're wearing our helmet, after all! And truth, well, it's pretty clear that God values that. He is Truth, so we better make sure we have it. But our feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace? Sure, sounds like a good idea.

Um, question:

How long can you stand without anything on your feet?

Have you ever tried standing/working on a concrete slab for a couple hours?
Have you ever had your feet aching so badly it felt like the bones in your feet were coming right through the skin?
Have you ever tried to withstand (fight) without shoes on?

How long do you think you'd last in a battle with your feet unprotected?
Knowing how much I hate stubbing my toes, I'd have to guess I wouldn't stand very long. Somebody would tromp on my pinkie, and I'd go down howling, nevermore to rise.

There is a saying among horsemen - no hoof, no horse.
Could we say... no foot, no fight?

If we are not properly shod, can we be out properly fighting for our King? Perhaps we can still defend ourselves, huddled behind our shield and waving our sword 'round our heads... but will we be out assaulting the gates of hell? Will we be following our Lord as He leads the charge? Or will we be, more or less, useless in the battle? We're foot soldiers, after all, and without shoes, what can we do?

How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him that bringeth good tidings, that publisheth peace; that bringeth good tidings of good, that publisheth salvation; that saith unto Zion, Thy God reigneth!

There are mountains to be climbed... battles to be fought... a message that needs to be published and brought.

But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and [be] ready always to [give] an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear.

I know I'm not ready to give an answer. I go blithely on my way, thinking I'm quite prepared... only to find out I've left my shoes at home.
How can I make sure I'm prepared with the gospel of peace?
How can I know I'm ready?
I'm not quite sure... except to fall in line and run after my Leader. I know He is more than able and willing to give me whatever I lack, and like the shoes of the Israelites, those He gives me will not wear out.
I'm slow to change... slow to prepare... far too slow to be a good soldier for my King. Yet He continues with my training, gently reminding me, even when I deserve an old fashioned army flogging.
He is so good to me! I want to wear the shoes He provides His soldiers... I want to be ready to answer anyone He brings my way.



Seeking Him, for He may be found,



7 thoughts shared:

Squeaks said...

Lol! This is great :P Actually, there are many times when I must withstand without shoes. The sport is called Taekwondo :P We have fight an opponent without shoes protecting our feet (bare feet) and all our points must be scored with our feet. After a while your feet toughen up and you don't feel much. Mind you, in battle it would be a different thing. I can't imagine how much it would hurt to walk around and sudden *clomp* a horse steps on your toes *ouch!!*

Squeaks.

Awel Prince said...

In answer to your questoin: I used this tutorial: http://bloggerstop.net/2009/01/add-smiliey-emotions-to-bloggerblogspot.html.

It's very easy. :)

Awel P.

Shining as Stars said...

This is so beautiful! And it came right at the time I needed it :D. You're right, we need to keep our feet protected at all times. And we must never give up running with our Saviour, who will always carry us over the rough paths.

Can do mom said...

great post! I love reading and pondering on such things.

I hope your feet stay dry and warm in the days ahead.

Enjoy our beautiful fall!

Katherine Sophia said...

Thank you, Squeaks! Haha, that didn't even enter my mind... But yes, I was thinking more Middle Eastern type battles than Far Eastern. :) Now I wonder what analogy could be drawn from Taekwondo?

Thanks Awel! I think I will try it. :)

I love it when God works things out like that, Shining as Stars. Thank you for your comment! :)

Thank you CDMom! I will, and I hope you are too! :)

Jessica said...

This is true beauty...your heart and desire for God.

His armor is so important in our lives. This post reminds me of one of my favorite poems...

Stand then in His great might,
With all His strength endued;
But take, to arm you for the fight,
The panoply of God.
Leave no unguarded place,
No weakness of the soul;
Take every virtue, every grace,
And fortify the whole.
Charles Wesley

Have a beautiful day Kate.

Jess

Katherine Sophia said...

CW wrote some really beautiful things... thank you for sharing that! And have a beautiful day as well! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails