Monday, September 27, 2010

Banned Books Week

It's that time of year again...

So, just where do you stand on book banning?

Personally, I'm more in favor of book burning, but maybe that's just me. XD
(Just kidding... Although you've got to admit, if you're trying to make a statement, burning is a lot more attention getting than banning.)

Now, I don't like things being banned. Especially books. There were reasons it was against the law to teach slaves to read...
But, in America, books are no longer exactly able to be "banned." Basically then, the way I see it, all Banned Books Week can really be is a way to call attention to books that parents/teachers/etc, have tried to get removed from their libraries.

Which, in my opinion, is an entirely different thing from, say, governmental banning.
Since, after all, I believe parents can and should take charge of their children's reading material, I really don't have that much of a problem with it. The books are still printed and for sale, and if someone really wants to read them, they can get them. (Besides, it seems to give a lot of free publicity! You'd think authors would be glad...) :)

But. Onto the point of this post. You know what this week always makes me think of?
What's the most banned book in the world?

One they hardly ever seem to mention on library signs... even though it is illegal in 52 countries and apparently portions of it cannot be displayed on courthouses even in America.

Shouldn't that get a little more publicity?

The fact that people are tortured for having this book. Are desperate to have it. Need it!
should get a little attention, don't you think?

So perhaps... if you see anything this week mentioning banned books... take the time to pray for those who do not have a Bible?

3 thoughts shared:

Can do mom said...

Very good points and if I happen to be somewhere where there is a display of banned books I will make a comment about the Bible!

Jessica said...

Wow...I love the way you did this post! Beautiful creativity and so powerful.

Yes the Bible should get more notice than it does, especially since people are willing to die for it.

What is the world coming to?

I don't know.

Thoughtfully yours.
Jessica

Katherine Sophia said...

Thank you, CDMom! And that would be great! :)

I don't know either... The end? :/
But thank you, Jessica!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails