Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Sugar:

sweet... delicious... addicting...

german chocolate cake
fudge
sugar cookies
vanilla ice-cream with chocolate sauce
butterfingers
peppermint patties
banana cream pie
brownies
7 layer bars
biscotti
blueberry milkshake

So... yeah.


I'm not eating sugar this month.

All month.

Nearly 4 1/2 weeks.

31 days.

744 hours.

44640 minutes.

2678400 seconds.


Do I sound addicted?


That's what I thought.

If I eat a little, I want a lot. So I decided I just wouldn't eat any.

Not that I'm going all crazy about it. I mean, everything has sugar in it, and I'm not going to not eat coleslaw just because there's sugar in the dressing. Or in cereal. Or in bread. Or in milk. Or in fruit.

Mostly I guess, I'm going without dessert. Which, living at Grandma's house, is painful, to say the least.



Ok, I know. I'm making kind of a big deal about nothing. But see... it made me think of something.


Because I don't believe sugar is bad.

God promised to bring the nation of Israel into a land flowing with milk and honey. The word sweet is in the Bible 103 times.

It's a good thing.


But we all know about too much of a good thing...

And I've been eating way to much sugar lately.

So I just quit.

And then thought of how many other good things there are.

Music.

Books.

Movies.

Friends.

School.

Sports.

Sleep.

Exercise.

Whatever.

Many good things can become dangerous when they are misused. Good things can be turned bad by doing too much of them... or even twisted into something they were never meant to be.
(Like corn syrup - that stuff is not good for you, in any way, shape, or form. And it's in everything you eat, too. Not that I'm going to stop eating SpecialK Bars because of that, but that's beside the point.)
Sometimes things that are fine for one person are not fine for another.
(Diabetics should not eat as much sugar as non-diabetics. At 5'2" and quite done growing, if I eat as much sugar as my 5'8" teenage brother, I'm in trouble. Etc.)
And sometimes we just need to take a step back and evaluate.
Am I using the good things in my life the way they should be used?
Or am I doing way too much of some things?
Or even turning something good into something bad by how I am doing it?
(Sunday night church was really good - going over Proverbs 6 and having really great discussions on lying, being a false witness, situational ethics, and when truth is used to sow discord among brethren. Even something God loves as much as truth can be turned into something bad when used for, say, gossip.)
Especially, though, is something good taking the place of something best?
That's when it gets really dangerous.

Because sometimes... too much of a good thing can kill you.

Don't let something good strangle the life out of your Christian walk.


Seeking Him,




Well, here's hoping that a little discipline in the area of eating will carry over into other areas of my life...

2 days, 20 hours, 16 minutes, and 46 seconds down.

14 seconds, 44 minutes, 4 hours, and 28 days left to go.



;)

4 thoughts shared:

Jessica said...

I have been thinking of you every time I pick up a sweet. I think. Aw poor Kate well you now on day 5 congratulations almost an entire week!

Katherine Sophia said...

:) Yep, only 26 more days! :D

Can do mom said...

I've been trying to cut back on sugar too. I was doing really well until we went up to our cabin for the week. I need to get back in the no-sugar routine. It really IS addicting! Hang in there!

Katherine Sophia said...

Ugh, no kidding... watching people eat ice-cream all around me when it's 90 degrees out is getting old. :D Oh, well, only 21 more days...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails