Monday, July 19, 2010

Simple

Now, this may be obvious to some people, but to me, it was a very helpful illustration, so if you go "duh!" it's a personality difference, ok? :) I am a quieter person, tending to silently listen rather than vivaciously talk. I'm not the type of person who feels a need to tell everyone everything I know or think.
(My mom, on the other hand, is the kind of person who will go up to complete strangers in a grocery store and say, "Hey! Did you see the great sale they have on cucumbers in the next aisle? You really should go check it out!" I just figure, hey, if they want cucumbers they can probably figure it out themselves. I do miss all the "Oh, thank you so much for letting me know!" reactions, but I also miss all the "Yikes, weirdo lady," responses, too.) :)


Anyway. I recently watched a movie that I really liked. I immediately began thinking which of my friends would enjoy watching it, who I could share it with, who had probably never heard of it, etc. I was excited to let them know about something that they'd like, and that was that.

Bam. It suddenly hit me that this was what witnessing should be like. Spontaneous excitement over how amazing God is and how incredibly much we need Him... thinking about "Who do I know that doesn't know about Him?" Or even "Who can I tell what God has just taught me?" (which of course can be anyone, including those who know Him very well!)

If I care about the people and care about God, there need not be any "Oh, how will I bring this topic up in conversation?" worries. I didn't have to plan on talking about the movie, or figure out how to work it into the conversation, or anything. It was just uh, normal?

I realized I tend to think of talking about God as harder than it is. I try to figure out what to say to people, how I'll explain what I believe, whether or not to say something when someone takes the Lord's name in vain, how I can work something into the conversation... Wow. Why don't I just relax and let it come into the conversation naturally? Why don't I ask God to make me so on fire for Him that I can't help but speak of Him? Why don't I get so excited about my wonderful Lord that I can't wait to tell others about Him?

Seeing it that way made "witnessing" seem suddenly so much easier.

So simple.

As simple as telling someone about a fun movie.

Only so much more powerful.



Seeking Him,

2 thoughts shared:

Hope Marie said...

Awesome post!! by the way I'm having a giveaway go to www.rejoiceinhisword.blogspot.com to enter.

Katherine Sophia said...

Thanks, Hope Marie! And I'll stop by your giveaway. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails