Friday, July 9, 2010

Shimmering Sparkles

I got to see fireworks in two different towns, two different nights this year - once on on a boat on the river and once sitting on the shore of a lake. Both were lots of fun, and I've been trying to think of a post about them ever since, lol. :D

I love fireworks. There's just something
spectacular about them. Something huge and amazing and almost glorious. (Yes, I get carried away.) ;)

Watching them (and thinking about them later), I thought about being lights in the world.

Look at the many different colors, shapes (we got to see hearts the other night!), sizes, heights, sounds, and differences between fireworks. Yet all have been preprogrammed, set up with a certain amount of ingredients and timed to go off at an exact time.

Every person is different - every Christian is different. There is no "Christian temperament" or "Christian personality" - we are all made in God's image, and I think we all show a little bit different part of Him. But we've all be created by Him, given abilities, gifts, and a time and a place to live.

Fireworks have one purpose: to go off. If they don't, they're useless and worse than useless - they could be dangerous.

We were created for one thing - to glorify God and enjoy Him forever. (Sounds like two, but for the Christian, it isn't.) If we aren't doing that, we not only are not serving Him, we are probably damaging those around us. God can still use us (look at Pharaoh, etc.), but we certainly won't be lighting up a dark world for Him!

The thing that really stuck out to me however, happened after the grand finale. Boats were racing away before us, people were hurrying for their cars in mass droves... we still sat on our blankets, talking and waiting for the rush to slow.
Suddenly two more fireworks exploded into the sky, surprising us all. We watched a minute for more, then kept talking. A little bit later more went off. And more! None of us had seen that happen before, and we all thought it was a little odd.
Then I realized how like me those last few fireworks are. I'm in the right place at the right time - and the right spark just never goes off. I have an opportunity to say something to someone, be it plant a seed, give an explanation, be an encouragement, or share a Bible verse, and I keep silent. I just don't quite think of the right words or know quite how to say it. So I wait, and miss that perfect moment. Then, when I do think of what to say, I realize I've missed my opportunity and I never do say what I knew I should.
But those fireworks... apparently they had everything necessary to work. They should have simply gone off at the right time. They didn't however. But do you know what? They still went off. No, it wasn't perfect timing. No, most people had already left. Yes, we thought they were a little weird for going off late.
But some people did see them! And enjoyed them! And were glad that they did go off eventually!

As I work on giving "a word fitly spoken," I hope this reminds me that I don't need to wait for the perfect phrase. Speak when something needs said. If I miss the first time, though, I should take the next chance. I need to keep away from the "speak now or forever hold your peace" kind of thinking. I need to take every opportunity to light up the darkness with the bright colors God has given me to show for Him.

Seeking Him,

2 thoughts shared:

Gianna said...

How beautiful!! I just wanted ask you if you wanted to enter my follower-fest. I want to get 35 followers by the end of July, when my makeover will be finished. If I get 35 followers by then, I will have a blog party. If I get more than 35 followers by the end of July, I will host a giveaway.

God bless,
~Gianna

Katherine Sophia said...

I will definitely stop by, Gianna. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails