Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Deadly...

My grandma had her six-month check-up this week....
 It has been 19 months since she found out she had cancer, probably two years since she was feeling herself.
Strange, the twists and turns life takes.
At this moment, we are awaiting the results of her tests - so far, what's come back has been good!

You know, cancer and Christianity make an interesting comparison...

Surgery and chemo took care of my grandma's cancer. Jesus's sacrifice and our trust in Him take care of our salvation. Unlike her cancer, though, we don't have to worry about our old nature "coming back."
They that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.
It's dead.
The life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave Himself for me.
Sometimes it seems like it's trying to -
The good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.
But we know
Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus.
That which Christ Jesus apprehends, He does not let go.
No man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand. I and my Father are one.

Although my grandma's cancer is gone, her fingers and feet still feel "asleep" - opening, buttoning, sewing, etc. are difficult or impossible for her to do. Our sins are gone - taken away as far as the east is from the west. However, we still sin, and the effects of our sins linger with us.
It does not have control of us though - just because my grandma can't do certain things easily doesn't mean she doesn't try to do them. And the difference between her now and the day my grandpa took her to the doctor because she could barely get up is huge!

Had she gone to the doctor immediately, though, instead of waiting until she was so weak she could not hide it anymore, it would have been so much easier... I'm mixing my analogies here a little bit, but cancer has been compared to sin many times. Its creeping, subtle influence... the unnatural attacking of that which is good and right, turning it into something dangerous and deadly...
My grandma is one of the strongest women I have ever known. She has always been able to outwork most people around her, she cooks amazing food, and has lived a pretty healthy life. She does not have only physical strength, either. I don't know how to describe it, except that she has come through much in her life, and only allowed it to make her better. Anyway. I <3 her. :D
She still got cancer.
(Forget all that stuff about eating cabbage and broccoli... you can do all that and still need chemo! :P)
No matter how much we do right, we cannot prevent the sin from being in our lives. We need Something Else, Something outside ourselves to come and give us new life and save us from the sin that is killing us. And the sooner we realize that, the better it will be. She could have waited too long. Thank God that there were other people in her life who insisted she go see a doctor! Which is a reminder:
We can make more of a difference than we know. Insist that those around you go see the Great Physician. Don't let them continue on, sin sucking the life out of them. The longer they wait, the worse it will get. Perhaps they are strong, doing (they think) perfectly fine without God. Maybe they can go a little longer than others, but it will still conquer them. Drive 'em to the Doctor. Be there when they need you. You can't make them "get chemo," but you can tell them how you were cured.
You can "Go home to thy friends, and tell them how great things the Lord hath done for thee."

Seeking Him,

3 thoughts shared:

Jessica said...

Wow, you have given me a lot to think about. Okay, okay I will stop commenting and work the Ivyanna. :D I think she just pricked my conscience...or maybe that was my conscience?

Can do mom said...

Beautiful post! I've only met your grandmother once but was struck by her gracious and lovely spirit. :)

I, too, did all the right things to avoid cancer but was struck at 34 years old! I praise God for ten years of good health and hope and pray that your dear grandmother is blessed with many "bonus" birthdays!

Katherine Sophia said...

I always feel a little scared when someone says I made them think... but hey, if it makes you work on Ivyanna, Perfecto!!! ;)

Thank you, Mrs. B! Amen to everything you said, and I'm so very glad you are healthy now!
We'll have to get together with you guys sometime before school starts... :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails