Thursday, July 15, 2010

Deadline...

Two days ago, my grandparents took off for parts unknown (or at least undisclosed to the world at large), leaving me home to do lots of school work. They also happened to leave on the day I was going to clean bathrooms... which I promptly decided not to do, since they were going to be gone for a few days. :) Nor did I scrub the floor, which I had also planned on doing. I kept thinking, "Oh, I need to clean the kitchen," but I never really did. It was just going to get dirty again... and they might not be back until Friday or something.

Then, yesterday evening as I was working on Spanish (I'm almost done with Spanish I! Yay!), my brother got back from work. "Well, they're going to be here in a few hours," he said.

!!!!!!!!

So, I jump up, make supper, he goes off to prayer meeting, and I start cleaning. Office, foyer, kitchen, dining room, living room, sitting room, and three bathrooms - floors vacuumed, swept, or mopped, some rooms more than other rooms. (Kitchen especially. Everything needed scrubbed in there, plus dishes and dishwasher.) Then I filled the cookie jar (Chex works instead of Wheaties and ranger cookies are good with currents added to them and no one will notice if you cut the butter by nearly 1/2) and got ready for bed. And they got home, just as I came downstairs to wash my clothes! (They liked the cookies, btw.)

That was about three hours of cleaning, and they got home with perfect timing. The funny thing is, I knew I was going to do that. I kept thinking I needed to do this or that, but until I actually knew the deadline, I didn't make myself do it. (And now you can be properly shocked that I did not just keep it in a state of perfect cleanliness the whole time. I know. Me too.)

Flying around, I realized something.

There are all these things that must be done before Jesus returns. I know about them, I see them... but because I do not know the deadline, I act like I have all the time in the world. I don't have the same sense of urgency about His return that I had about my grandparent's - and I didn't get that until I knew when they were coming home.

I've actually often wished that I knew how much time I had, simply for that very reason. Deadlines energize me, kick-start me, and make me finish what I need to on time. If I knew I only had one hour until Jesus came back, I wouldn't spend five minutes of it paging through a magazine I won't remember looking at tomorrow anyway.
But - I didn't know the exact time of my grandparent's arrival, either. I did find out it was soon, and I cleaned as much and as fast as possible.
And although I don't know the day or the hour of my Lord's return, I can take a pretty good guess.

Soon.

When ye see these things come to pass, know ye that the kingdom of God is nigh at hand. Luke 21:31

Not yet, but it is near and getting nearer.

Do I have enough time to accomplish all that He wants me? I hope so - but I certainly don't if I'm not doing it!

What is my "to do list"? What must I do before He returns?


Well, first of all:
Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. II Cor. 13:5
I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway. I Cor. 9:27
Self-examination is not very fun - but am I a child of God? Have I been adopted by Him, my sins washed away into oblivion by the cleansing blood of Christ so that God can accept me at His table and in His home forever after? Sometimes when I see how very awful I am, I wonder - yet even that shows that I am His. The more I know Him, His power, glory, majesty, and perfection, the more I realize my need of His love, mercy, forgiveness, and redemption. Did my salvation depend upon me, there would absolutely not the slightest chance for me. But it depends wholly on my Savior, and I can rest on His promises. I am His. Yet - I must still bring my body into subjection to Him, becoming like Him as He perfects me.

So what else?

Whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed. James 1:25

Looking at the law, hearing God's word, and doing the work - what does this entail?

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? Micah 6:8
Seek ye first the kingdom of God, and His righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you. Mat. 6:33
(You knew I had to put that one in there.) :)

Walking with Him, doing justly and loving mercy... so what are we doing? How do we seek His kingdom?

Once we know we're going to heaven, our job is simple: get as many people to come with us as possible.

I need to start with my family. Does every person in my family know my Savior, as far as I can know? Am I living a good example for them? Am I praying for them? Is there something else I need to do?
Then on to who God has placed in my life. Who do I go to church with? Do I know them? Are they saved? How can I either show them their need for a Savior or encourage them in their walk with Him? Same for work (no job at the moment), school (not yet, but soon!), or anything thing I happen to be in. Where do I go? Where do I spend time? Do I know people there? Do they know who I really am and what my life is really about? Or am I doing a pretty stinkin' good cover-up job?

So often we act like we've been sent to work as under-cover spies for God, instead of as ambassadors for a Heavenly country!

I find it all to easy to put off what it is vitally important I not put off. He's coming back soon, and I need to get on the job. Sure, eating, drinking, breathing, sleeping, school, etc., all need to be done too - but how much more I could be doing than I am! Even to spending time with my siblings: when I talk to them, am I listening to them? Do I know what their needs are? Do I pray with them? Simple things... that I've been forgetfully ignoring lately.

This is something I seriously need to work on and, if you think of it, your prayers would be appreciated. Thank you!

Seeking Him,



Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching. Hebrews 10:25

9 thoughts shared:

Squeaks said...

Awesome post Katherine! I really enjoyed it :)

Squeaks.

Leah Marie said...

wow that's a very good example story. that really brought some things into perspective some things i've been thinking about lately. :]
hopefully we'll be able to see your family some time soon! it's been a really long time!

Jessica said...

Oh thank you for the reminder dearest Kate. Deadlines sooooo helpful I must love them as much as I hate them but I need to learn that everything doesn't come with a known deadline.

Katherine said...

Great post! I love and appreciate when people are willing to bare themselves and lay their faults out in the open to encourage others, ask for prayer, and make themselves humble and accountable. May we both stop procrastinating and get the courage and diligence to move!

Blessings,
Katherine :)

Katherine Sophia said...

Thanks, Squeaks!

I'm glad, Leah! It always helps me out to hear that, so thank you! And yes, it's been a long time. :( I hope you guys are all doing well!

Ah, do we both have a love/hate relationship with deadlines, Jessica? Life without deadlines... Wait, that's heaven, isn't it? :P I don't like them, but I need them. I wonder if the things that don't have known deadlines are the most important though? Hmm...

Thank you, Katherine. Amen!!!

K.M. Weiland said...

I think we all have that tendency to push things off until the last possible minute. I'm a schedule nut - but I don't get along well with deadlines. Much better to get everything done as soon as possible, so the nasty deadlines never have time to breathe down the back of my neck!

Katherine Sophia said...

Much, much better! I really do enjoy getting things done earlier than I need to, but my scheduling has fallen apart in this past year and deadlines are suddenly looming ahead of me. :P Hopefully I'll get back on track now, though, because I totally agree with you. :)

Felicity said...

I just prayed for you!
I happened to have an extra minute and hopped on your blog to check up on you; I'm so glad I did! You will be in my thoughts and prayers for the next couple of days. May God bless you with diligence that uses his gift of time for the most impact.
Something wonderful I learned recently is that Jesus lived in the power of the Holy Spirit - the same Spirit that he gave us. You have that Spirit, Katherine Sophia, and he will help you set down that useless magazine.:) Thank you for sharing that analogy; it helps me grasp the necessity to act now. I've actually just been learning the same truth. I was convicted by Mt. 5:19-21 and the reality that the way I use my time is one of the ways that I store up treasure.

Katherine Sophia said...

Thank you Felicity! Your comment has been an encouragement to me all week. :) And a reminder to get going whenever I thought of it. :D

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails