Monday, June 28, 2010

Music...

I've already done something very similar to this, but I wanted to do it again. :D
I know some of you have noticed this, and I'm curious as to what others think of it.
What am I talking about?
Love songs.
Mushy, romantic, beautiful... whatever.
And how they can illustrate our relationship to Christ.
I love hymns, but sometimes they just don't seem to say enough of what I'm feeling. This may simply be because it is difficult to find beautifully recorded hymns, or that they have become, if possible, overused, and so too familiar. But there are other songs, with beautiful music and sung by extremely talented singers, which I think can be even more special than a hymn sometimes.
Like...
"You Raise Me Up"
When I am down and, oh my soul, so weary;
When troubles come and my heart burdened be;
Then, I am still and wait here in the silence,
Until you come and sit awhile with me.

You raise me up, so I can stand on mountains;
You raise me up, to walk on stormy seas;
I am strong, when I am on your shoulders;
You raise me up... To more than I can be.

You raise me up, so I can stand on mountains;
You raise me up, to walk on stormy seas;
I am strong, when I am on your shoulders;
You raise me up... To more than I can be.

There is no life - no life without its hunger;
Each restless heart beats so imperfectly;
But when you come and I am filled with wonder,
Sometimes, I think I glimpse eternity.

You raise me up, so I can stand on mountains;
You raise me up, to walk on stormy seas;
I am strong, when I am on your shoulders;
You raise me up... To more than I can be.

You raise me up, so I can stand on mountains;
You raise me up, to walk on stormy seas;
I am strong, when I am on your shoulders;
You raise me up... To more than I can be.

You raise me up... To more than I can be.

Ok, this one I always think of as a hymn. And I know I'm not the only one, because if you type in "Is You Raise Me" into Google, immediately "A Hymn, A Religious Song, A Christian Song" pops up. :) I think it's pretty obvious.

"My Confession"
I have been blind, unwilling to see
The true love you're giving.
I have ignored every blessing.
I'm on my knees confessing

That I feel myself surrender
Each time I see your face.
I am staggered by your beauty,
Your unassuming grace.
And I feel my heart is turning,
Falling into place.
I can't hide
Now hear my confession.

I have been wrong about you.
Thought I was strong without you.
For so long nothing could move me.
For so long nothing could change me.
Now I feel myself surrender
Each time I see your face.
I am captured by your beauty,
Your unassuming grace.
And I feel my heart is turning,
Falling into place.
I can't hide
Now hear my confession.

You are the air that I breath.
You're the ground beneath my feet.
When did I stop believing?

Cause I feel myself surrender
Each time I see your face.
I am staggered by your beauty,
Your unassuming grace.
And I feel my heart
Falling into place.
I can't hide
Now hear my confession.
I can't hide
Now hear my confession.
Hear my confession

This song, I actually did not think of that way at all, but reading through the lyrics, I realized (after I saw how much the Bible talks about the Beauty of Holiness and began to see the beauty of the Lord) what a salvation experience song it is. We are blind until our eyes are opened to God's great love for us. We think we are strong, until we realize our need for the Lord. It is not until we surrender to Him that our heart "falls into place." And really, who else could be the very air we breathe and the ground beneath our feet? Jesus Christ is our Life, the Rock on which we stand.

"Bring Me To Life"
How can you see into my eyes like open doors
Leading you down into my core
Where I've become so numb without a soul
My spirit sleeping somewhere cold
Until you find it there and lead it back home

Wake me up
Wake me up inside
I can't wake up
Wake me up inside
Save me
Call my name and save me from the dark
Wake me up
Bid my blood to run
I can't wake up
before I come undone
Save me
Save me from the nothing I've become

now that I know what I'm without
you can't just leave me
breathe into me and make me real
bring me to life

Bring me to life
I've been living a lie, there's nothing inside
Bring me to life

Frozen inside without your touch without your love
Darling only you are the life among the dead

All this time I can't believe I couldn't see
Kept in the dark but you were there in front of me
I've been sleeping a thousand years it seems
Got to open my eyes to everything
Without a thought without a voice without a soul
Don't let me die here
There must be something more
Bring me to life

Bring me to life
I've been living a lie, there's nothing inside
Bring me to life
This one I actually just happened to see the lyrics for - and went wow, I can't imagine that one being sung to anyone but Jesus Christ. (Apparently some people think it would be a great song for Twilight...) For those who want new life in Christ, though, doesn't this fit? Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find one that I like to listen to, but what do you think of the words? I thought they were interesting. :)
"Bridge Over Troubled Water"
When you're weary
Feeling small
When tears are in your eyes
I will dry them all

I'm on your side
When times get rough
And friends just can't be found
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will lay me down
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will lay me down

When you're down and out
When you're on the street
When evening falls so hard
I will comfort you

I'll take your part
When darkness comes
And pain is all around
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will lay me down
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will lay me down

If you need a friend
I'm sailing right behind
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will ease your mind
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will ease your mind

And an answer. :) He will wipe all tears from my eyes, and He asks that I cast my cares upon Him, for He cares for me.

"All Love Can Be"
I will watch you in the darkness
Show you love will see you through
When the bad dreams wake you crying
I'll show you all love can do
All love can do

I will watch by the night
Hold you in my arms
Give you dreams where no one will be
I will watch through the dark
Till the morning comes

For the lights will take you
Through the night to see
All love, showing us all love can be

I will guard you with my bright wings
Stay till your heart learns to see
All love can be
And we will never know all that love can be until we know God, who is Love. He is the One who never sleeps, the Guardian of my soul, and the One who shelters me under His wings. Cool...
So, anyone else have similar songs that mean more to you than was originally meant in the song? I find music so very powerful and so very amazing, that I love to see glimpses of God's great love for me in songs that otherwise would really have nothing spiritual about them. I'd love to hear of any that you thought of!
Keep Seeking Him! :)

6 thoughts shared:

Jessica said...

These are BEAUTIFUL!!! I LOVE THEM! I love it when I can turn songs that I hear into "devotionals" becuase those love songs are really deep and meaningful and focusing that on Christ is such a special thing.

Shaynie said...

Ooh, cool post! Those songs are really neat! I LOVE music, too!

Awel Prince said...

I don't mind if you use the pics...it's not like I took them...just found 'em on google. :)

~Awel P.

Katherine Sophia said...

Thanks, Jessica and Shaynie! I've seen several people listing their favorite cds on blogs lately, and I think it got me started. :)

Jessica said...

Me is hooked on one of these THANK YOU!

Katherine Sophia said...

:D

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails