Sunday, June 13, 2010

Fellowship...

I hope I'm not boring anyone with these... but again, somehow Rio helps me see spiritual truth.
Really! She does! :)


After her leg healed up a little bit two years ago, I stopped boarding her and brought her home for the winter. (The first winter in my entire life where I went outside every day - and hauled frozen water buckets back and forth and cleaned a horse stall every morning!! It also happened to be the coldest winter in the past ten years... or did it just feel like it?)

It was fun... (ever tried lunging a horse using a fishing pole with rope tied to the end for your whip? You actually can make those things cra-a-ck!) But when spring came, the mosquitoes in our woods were absolutely horrendous. (We've had the county-extention-for-pest-control-people (or whatever you call 'em) stand amazed in our yard at the incredible numbers of mosquitoes we have. It's bad.) She started looking like she had mumps, she had so many mosquito bites! So I took her back to board her again.

The first thing, of course, was to make sure that she and the other two horses in her pasture would get along. (As far as we know, she went through the wire fence at her previous owner's because she was running from the other horses.) So, we put her into the arena with one of the other horses. I'm standing there, tensely watching, like what's going to happen?!

She just stared at the other horse like she was seeing things.

Then she went tearing up to him like he was her long-lost mother, calling to him with such excitement that I suddenly felt really bad. I realized that the entire winter, she had been silent. Once in a while she'd whinny or neigh, but she ate in silence, followed me in silence, and walked her pasture in silence. I'd assumed that since we had four cats in the barn with her, two dogs running around, quite a few chickens and peacocks, besides all of us there so much of the time, she wouldn't be lonely.
Aparently she was. Really lonely.

The other horse ended up chasing her around a little bit, but she just wanted to get close to him. After that, every time I put her out in the pasture, she'd go running to find the other horses. Even though they weren't as thrilled to see her (one of them actually enjoyed biting her...) >:( she wanted to be near them. She'd eat by them, stand by them... In fact, if you want to see (again?) a video I made of her last year:

video

She wanted to be near them so badly! (Although I think she'd learned not to get too close.) :)

Yesterday I went out to the barn and was reminded of this all when I saw her and her pasture-mate standing together under the lean-to. All the horses turned to look when I came around the corner - it was so cute!

But I realized that I do the same thing to myself. I know the Bible says "let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works: Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching." Some Sundays that's all that makes me want to go to church (I have to get up because the Bible says so...). :/ But I tend to equate "going to church" with this verse. That's not what it's saying, though.
Consider one another, provoke unto love and to good works, exhorting one another... I need to be with other Christians so that, "if they fall, the one will lift up his fellow: but woe to him that is alone when he falleth; for he hath not another to help him up... And if one prevail against him, two shall withstand him; and a threefold cord is not quickly broken."

I tend to be a "Lone Ranger" type person - pretty happy by myself, able to be happy and enjoy myself and even get a lot more done when there's no one else around.

I'm realizing, though, that even the Lone Ranger had someone to help him out. "It is not good that the man should be alone." This is in the context of marriage, but Adam had no one.
He had God! But the first thing that was not good about Creation was Adam's aloneness.

I usually think I'm okay when I am alone - when I go to church and come home without having had been considered, provoked, or exhorted. When I see a few people and talk a little bit with them. When I'm around some family member or another.
It's not until I actually get together with someone and spend time with them, have a serious conversation, pray together, that I realize how much I've missed that!
I've always been someone who shares little of myself, with few people. I like to have a few very close friends (my mom being a major one!) :)

Some people have many friends,
are comfortable sharing a lot of themselves.

I don't really know that either is better or worse, but we all need other people, other Christians, around us. And obviously the people in Hebrews 10 were needing to get together with more than their family!

If we aren't in actual fellowship with other Christians, I think there is a real danger that we will become silent. Once in a while we'll be witnesses... but if we are continually surrounded by those who do not know Christ (cats, dogs, chickens, and humans?) we are un-ready to speak. Spending time with others who know Him, however, strengthens, prepares, and helps us to be His witnesses to others.

I've discovered that Rio isn't the quiet horse I used to own... Instead, she's learned to live with the other horses in her pasture and to interact well with me.

I hope you are enjoying good fellowship today as you seek Him together with other believers!

3 thoughts shared:

Katherine said...

Great post!!!!!!

blessings,
Katherine

Jessica said...

Absolutely beautiful Kate. It is so true that fellowship is a necessary part of who we are and what we need. I have been learning this more and more recently...speaking of which I need to blog it has been tooooo long.

Katherine Sophia said...

Thank you, Katherine! :)

Thanks, Jessica... and yay, you just did some blogging! :D

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails