Monday, June 21, 2010

Because of a somewhat crazy weekend, busy-ness, and poor Internet connection, my posts got little messed up. So, just pretend this is my Father's Day post. :D

With Father's Day this weekend and all, I'm kind of going backwards, looking specifically for some qualities in my dad that can remind me of God. I don't think I've ever tried that before, and I'm not totally sure what it will look like, but here goes.... I'll see how many I can come up with before I need to get off here. :)

He always tells me I can do it (whatever "it" happens to be.) He always tries to make sure that I'm not worried about accomplishing what I need to, and always reminds me of what I am good at and what God has made me able to do.

God tells us in His word over and over that nothing is impossible with Him. That we can do all things through Christ who strengthens us. That we do not need to worry about the future. That we can trust in Him and in His power to do what needs to be done. That He is the only One we need to fear and that whatever He has called us to do, He will enable us to do it.

He's always willing to help - when it's important. :) If I don't understand my Calculus homework, he will take the time to help me figure it out, go over it with me, even if it's really late at night. If I need something fixed so that I can meet a deadline, he will try as hard as he can to help me out. Things I can do myself... he doesn't generally like to do for me. :)

This is actually something my family was just talking about... Whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do. You know, if you are working for someone and they give you a job, it's perfectly normal to go your boss and say something like, "The printer at the desk is out of ink. Is it okay if I use the printer in the copy-room in order to print out that list you wanted?" Your boss is quite likely to agree to your request and give you what you need or tell you to do something differently (unless he happens to be Pharaoh, of course). However, if you go to your boss and ask something along the lines of, "I'm trying to use that printer at the desk so I can print out all the e-mails I ever received and that printer is out of ink. You really need to let me use the copy-room so I can keep working on that," he probably will not respond in a very positive way! Yet somehow we find it so easy to forget what James says: "Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts." We forget that the rest of that verse in John says, "that the Father may be glorified in the Son." That's why God gives us gifts and helps us - so that we can accomplish what really matters, not so we can have a perfect life and get everything we ever wanted!

He doesn't change (very much anyway, lol). My dad is a "Golden Retriever," a "steady." That was actually one of the first things that my mom liked about him - he wasn't a volatile, moody, up-and-down type of person. :) It's very hard to convince him of something, and once he has chosen a course of action, he follows it. Once he decides something, he sticks to it. If he tells me something one day, I can pretty much bet on the fact that he will say the exact same thing months - maybe even years - later. Of all the people I know, he has probably changed the least in all years I've been alive (not that I've been alive so incredibly long, but...) :)

It's so cool that God never changes. He is the same yesterday, today, and forever. He is not a man that He should repent, or change His mind. I can know that what is in the Bible holds true throughout eternity. I can have be safe in the knowledge that God is not different each day when I come to Him - He's always the same, always perfect, always loves me. He doesn't have "moods" and no one can "convince" God that they are right and He needs to change His mind, or influence Him to be different.



Okay, there's the first 3 things I thought of, and although God has taught me some amazing things about Himself, about relationships, about... life, through my dad, there is actually quite enough for a separate post or even posts, so I am stopping now. :D

I'll just say Thanks, Dad, for being there, for being my dad, and for everything you have taught me. Happy Father's Day! Thank you especially for helping me to seek after God and His kingdom. I love you!

2 thoughts shared:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails