Tuesday, May 18, 2010

We Walk

Went for a walk with my pretty horsey this week...

(I have to take some new pictures of her! She's cute in the winter (at least to me... I've heard others call her - almost ugly. ::choke/gasp/cough/recover::), but no one denies that she's a beautiful horse in the summer.) :D

Speaking of her, guess what I discovered last week? Rio is Spanish for river, right? Yes, but it's the masculine form. Properly speaking, since Rio (my horse) is a filly (not a mare yet! I still have some time to train her! :P) she should be called Ria. Properly speaking, Rio sounds a whole lot prettier to me, and we're used to it. Besides, I call her GoodGirl and BabyDoll more often than not anyways. (Well, that last only when she's being super good... which is most of the time I guess. Saddles sure are a lot heavier than doll clothes for hauling around, though!)

Anyway, that was not what I planned on writing. :D


As I was saying, I went for a walk with Rio.
As in, a brisk 30-minute hike on the trails I hope to someday ride. (Not until I can gallop her in circles in the area, though. :D)
When I got back someone said, "Wow, you look like you walked the whole way." I did, and I looked it. (Felt it too- 30 minutes in cowboy boots, and you'll know it.) :)

But despite that, it was a really fun walk. I've led other horses, and each one is a little different. Some pull ahead, tugging on the lead rope until your arm aches with constantly reminding them to slow down. Some drag back, freezing at each new sight and having to be coaxed to approach every corner - even when they've been by it 100 times.
But Rio just stayed right beside me, sometimes a little fast, sometimes a little slow, but she was listening to me. One time she had to stop and investigate a fallen tree before she'd walk by it, but she was attentive to me, seeing how I reacted to it. She looked at me when she saw something strange, and I got the feeling that she trusted me. Walking along with her, I suddenly thought of what a privilege I have.

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? Micah 6:8

God is leading me. I actually get to walk with Him daily, following Him every moment. I can choose to be afraid, to refuse to go near the things that frighten me. I can choose to want my own pleasures and desires and to plunge ahead, ignoring His voice. Or I can walk with Him, allowing Him to take me on the paths He chooses, knowing that He is perfecting me, that He has a good plan for me. Even when I don't know where I'm going, even when I don't see what's ahead on the trail, or know why I'm heading for something as frightening to me as a tree stump is to Rio- I can trust Him. I can enjoy walking with Him, can speak to Him at any moment, can be in His presence, even while I follow Him into the unknown. And He is so good!
Praying... That ye might walk worthy of the Lord unto all pleasing, being fruitful in every good work, and increasing in the knowledge of God; Colossians 1:10 - and we can only do that when we're with Him.

Seeking His Kingdom,

5 thoughts shared:

Milli said...

Excellent post.

Felicity said...

Wow, what a touching, powerful picture. (And reminder!) God is good! And its so wonderful to know that He is right there, just like you were with Rio. :) Thank you for posting!

Katherine Sophia said...

Thanks, Milli!

And thank you, Felicity! Yes, knowing that He is never going to leave me lost and alone in the woods is wonderful. :) I love how God can use such simple things to help me see more of Himself. :)

Jessica said...

*sigh* beautiful post Kate. I am not sure how I missed reading this one until now but I did. I love how you draw the picture soooo beautifully and then compare it to how we should walk with Christ. Beautiful.

Are you keeping these all together? Like for a devotional? Lessons with Rio. Or Riding with Rio...Drinking from the streams of living water with Rio...
The two of you would make a really cute book cover.

Katherine Sophia said...

I'm glad you liked it. :)
It's funny how many of these have come from working with Rio, isn't it? Hmmm... I was thinking of giving them their own page, since I should have 52 by the end of the year. :D I never tought of a devotional, although I *can* see *her* on a book cover... ;)
Thank you for the comment! I like those titles, btw...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails