Friday, May 14, 2010

Through a glass darkly...



I was just looking through a school cupboard and found an old... chunk of glass. I'm not sure what it is, but it looks like this:


The first picture is of flowers reflected upside-down inside it... it's really weird. We all used to have so much fun holding it up to our eyes and walking around. It distorts everything and going up and down stairs is positively hazardous. Looking through it makes you dizzy and liable to trip just walking down a long hallway. It's really fun. ;D


Looking through it again, I immediately thought of that verse in 1 Corinthians, "For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known."

Recently I've been thinking about the future (yah, graduation and all that...) and darkly is exactly how I'd describe it. Very darkly tinted and distorted glass. The future is definitely not clear.

I seriously cannot even imagine where I will be in the next few years or what the world will be like. It's strange, but I can't picture it. For someone who tends to imagine a lot, it's weird.
Even something as silly as my wedding - our current church is the first one where I have not thought about what it would look like. Considering that this is the first one where would be easy it's odd. (We used to go to a church with no center aisle and then to one that met in a gym.)
Watching what is happening in America and around the world is confusing and disturbing. Where are we headed, as a family, church, nation, world, universe? What does the future hold?
Just saying "I know Who holds the future" seems somehow trite and unhelpful.

Because I think we do know.
People love to quote Mark 13:32, "But of that day and that hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, neither the Son, but the Father," and think the End Times are Far Away. They seem to forget, though, that when the disciples asked, "Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?" Jesus didn't just say no one would know. He also told them, "But take ye heed: behold, I have foretold you all things."
He said, "Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When her branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is near: So ye in like manner, when ye shall see these things come to pass, know that it is nigh, even at the doors."

It is definitely true that we don't know the day and the hour, which is why I disagree with this:


But even if we don't know the date, we know what is going to happen. Knowing the signs of the times and preparing ourselves is so important!
What are the signs?
For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many. And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet. For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places. All these are the beginning of sorrows. Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all nations for my name's sake. And then shall many be offended, and shall betray one another, and shall hate one another. And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many. And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold. But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved. And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.
These things are happening. Are we at "the beginning of sorrows"?
Be like the people in 1 Chronicles 12:32: "And of the children of Issachar, which were men that had understanding of the times, to know what Israel ought to do... and all their brethren were at their commandment."
Jesus told us what was coming. He also told us what to do.

Therefore be ye also ready: for in such an hour as ye think not the Son of man cometh. For the Son of man is as a man taking a far journey, who left his house, and gave authority to his servants, and to every man his work, and commanded the porter to watch. Watch ye therefore: for ye know not when the master of the house cometh, at even, or at midnight, or at the cockcrowing, or in the morning: Lest coming suddenly he find you sleeping. And what I say unto you I say unto all, Watch.

Are you watching? Do you know what is going on in the world right now?
Here are a few places to check out:

Even if I can't imagine it, I can know what is going on and what I need to do - it's all written out for me. Watch and work for Him. 1Corinthians 7:29says, "But this I say, brethren, the time is short." We don't know how short, but we don't need to - we know enough and we have our orders.
Just some things to think about...
Keep Seeking Him.


7 thoughts shared:

Katherine said...

Interesting musings :) I agree that though we don't know the day nor hour, we know the signs.

Blessings,
Katherine

Jessica said...

Hey Kate...it looks like someone recovered very well from a late night chat. Oh that piece of glass is a prism and my brother and I used to do the same thing...and the stairs are certainly full of hazards...
I really love what you have to say here it is sooooo true.

Katherine Sophia said...

@ Katherine, Yes... I think the signs are beoming more and more obvious.
And musing was exactly what that was. :D

@ Jessica, Prism! That's what it's called! Why couldn't I think of that? I would blame on lack of sleep, but actually... I typed it up yesterday and scheduled it for today. :D Probably a good thing... ;)And Im glad you liked it; I was hoping it made sense. :D

Milli said...

Just because the Mayan calender ended in 2012 doesn't mean the world will end:D It's just like a normal calender ending in January of the next year!

Katherine Sophia said...

Haha, yeah, Milli. I find the speculation rather funny, considering... some poor guy probably got sick of calculating and decided there was no way he was going farther than 2012. :D

Felicity said...

God is absolutely astonishingly amazing! Praise Him that He gives us exactly what we need to do exactly what is right!
If we knew when, we might relax, or we might panic. As it is, we know just enough to motivate us to keep moving by God's grace. May we all get to the point where we look forward to His coming, knowing we are ready and we have served faithfully!

Katherine Sophia said...

Amen, Felicity!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails