Monday, May 3, 2010

On new life, best laid plans, and other random thoughts

So...
yeah.
I was sooo excited last week.
I got permission from the hospital and clinic to shadow two doctors and spend time up in OB.
And I was thinking ahead about what it would be like to observe a birth and thinking how I'd find something brilliant to say about it and then I'd blog about it and....
:D
Anyway, the doctor shadowing was good. You know, besides getting married and having a dozen children, being a doctor has been the only thing suggested to me that actually interested me? I enjoy shadowing doctors, and this last time I got a good picture of rural practice around where I live. The person in charge of recruiting doctors for the clinic even told me think about doing my residency there! Which I think would be really cool, since I've already lived here for a year and kind of know the area and everything, besides the fact that I'd get to live with my grandparents again. Maybe, if they wanted me. I'd pay them rent at that point, though. :D My first choice would still be an overseas mission residency, but that's so far down the road I'm not thinking about it yet. :D
But the hospital... Very poorly organized, unhelpful, and loooong. I was there allllll day and was absolutely exhausted by the time I got home. No one really explained anything or even knew why I was there. (I was just following directions, and Yes, I did get permission!) The really sad part was, one baby was born ~30 minutes before I got there. I did my volunteer job and then waited in the nursery, rocking the babies all afternoon. Finally someone else was ready to have a baby, but it was born before they thought it would be, and they hadn't allowed me into the room yet. So I waited like 3 more hours for the next baby... and then there were complications and the woman had to go have a c-section. (I was pretty unhappy with how my afternoon had gone, but thinking about how hers had gone, I kinda figured I should get over it.) :P
Holding the babies (even if they weren't crying - hey, I figured it was better for them to be held than to sleep in those plastic aquarium bins) was fun, and seeing a baby the instant after birth was very interesting. Even though it definitely did not decide me one way or the other on whether or not I want to do OB with family practice, it wasn't like I learned nothing. It just wasn't... how I expected it to go.
So, several things.
I think I know what's going on, I get my plans laid out, everything is going wonderfully... but I can't forget that God's plans are always better and greater than I can imagine. It was not how I thought it would be, but I'm sure there was a reason. I do tend to get ahead of myself, even though I try not to. It was a reminder that ye ought to say, If the Lord will, we shall live, and do this, or that.
And, thinking how one baby came so quickly, and the other so slowly, plus thinking about the c-section, I was reminded of
Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God. & Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
I've wondered why it is that some people's addictions, tempers, problems, disappear the moment they are saved. Everyone has probably heard at least one such story from a person they know. Doesn't it make you wonder? I've heard of other people who had serious addictions and had to struggle for years as they tried to overcome them, even though they were saved, too.
Why the difference?
It's birth.
Each child of God is different, and each one has a different story. Every person alive was born in some way, but for some people it takes thirty minutes and for others it takes surgery and for others it takes all day and then surgery. (I still feel bad for that lady and her baby!)
We can't compare the length of time that it takes different people to reach certain places in their spiritual life nor how they got there. Know what? Once babies are born, they don't all grow at the same rate or all respond similarly to life. And sometimes the effects of their normal or traumatic birth will continue on through their whole life. The more you think about it, the more you really understand what Jesus was telling Nicodemus. And you realize how incredibly good God is at explaining Himself, if you only take the time to listen!

Keep Seeking Him!


5 thoughts shared:

Merriette said...

Wow, very true. Excellent post, Katherine, thank you. Very thought-provoking.

Katherine said...

So interesting! Thanks for sharing!


Katherine

Katherine said...

I have awarded you the Pure in Heart award! Go to my blog to see what that means!

Blessings,
katherine

Jessica said...

Wow. Thank you for sharing Kate this is so beautiful and special. Maybe someday soon you can actually get your hearts desire but I think you learned something even better then if you had gotten what you wanted. Isn't God good?

Katherine Sophia said...

Thanks, Merriette! I'm glad it was thought-provoking!

Thank you, Katherine! :)

Yes, Jessica! He is so amazing! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails