Saturday, May 22, 2010

Literary Tag

A tag of Merriette's that I couldn't resist doing... If I did it again, I'd probably have different answers, but these are the ones I thought of immediately. :) Some of these books might be my special-edition edited version, just so you're aware. :D
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Top 3 authors:
1. Jane Porter
2. Deborah Alcock
3. And I'll either say Montgomery or Alcott, because I've read and liked many of their books. :)

Top 3 male characters:
way too hard, so here are just 3 I thought of and really like: :)
1. William Wallace (Scottish Chiefs)
2. Jefferson Davis Bussey (Rifles for Watie) :)
3. Huburt Bohun (Crushed Yet Conquering) even though I don't really like his name. :)

Top 3 female characters: For all the books I've read about girls, why is this so hard? For some reason I always seem to like the heroes better than the heroines...
1. Rose & Blanche Brier (The Shadow of the Bear)
2. Lucy Pevensie (The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe)
3. The Story Girl (book of that name) Not sure that I liked her so much, but I wanted to be able to tell stories like that...

Top 30 fiction books in no particular order:
1. Wildlife Cameraman - Jim Kjelgaard
2. The Prisoner of Zenda - Anthony Hope
3. Not My Will - Francena Arnold
4. The Spanish Brothers - Deborah Alcock
5. Crushed Yet Conquering " "
6. Men Of Iron - Howard Pyle
7. The Shadow of the Bear - Regina Doman
8. The Deerslayer - James Fenimore Cooper
9. The Story Girl - L.M. Montgomery
10. Kilmenny of the Orchard " "
11. To Have and to Hold - Mary Johnson
12. An Old Fashioned Girl - Louisa May Alcott
13. Under the Lilacs ""
14. A Final Reckoning - G. A. Henty
15. Laddie - Gene Stratton-Porter
16. Lord of the Rings - J. R. R. Tolkien
17. The Chronicles of Narnia series - C. S. Lewis
18. The Pillar of Fire - J. H. Ingrahm
19. Baby Island - Carol R. Brink
20. By Far Euphrates - Deborah Alcock
21. The Viking Series - Lois Walfrid Johnson
22. The Black Stallion & the Black Stallion Returns - Walter Farley
23. Rifles for Watie - Harold Keith
24. Johnny Tremain - Esther Forbes
25. The Good Master - Kate Seredy
26. Battle for Black Rock - Ralph Conners
27. The Bronze Bow - Elizabeth Speare
28. Flight to Glory - Douglas Percy
29. The Ezekial Option - Joel C. Rosenburg
30. The Talisman - Sir Walter Scott


Top 3 books most recently read:
1. The Last Thing I Remember (Andrew Klaven) Ok, so it was weird... but I liked the fact that someone is making patriotic pro-America books for kids these days. And... it was hilariously far-fetched and exciting. :)
2. My Utmost for His Highest (Oswald Chambers) No, not fiction, and I'm still reading it, but I think you've all noticed that I really like it. :D
3. When God Writes Your Love Story (Eric & Leslie Ludy) Nope, not fiction either, but I really liked it... I'll have to write a review on here sometime soon.

Worst 3 books ever read
That's hard... I'm not sure these are the worst, but they stand out in my memory:
1. Ooooh! Ok, this one has be here: Abortion: My choice, God's Grace, Christian Women Tell their stories. I was pretty mad... how can you call yourself a Christian while saying abortion is good? How can you call evil good like that - wait.... Huh.
2. The Shepherd of the Hills - I just re-read this recently, remembering really enjoying it when I was younger. ICK. The whole 1907 (it's an old book) eugenics thing just makes me sick. The hero and heroine had to get married because they looked good together?!? The things I miss reading a story only once...
3. The only other one that comes to mind is War and Peace - 460,000 words of stupidity... actually I couldn't even make myself finish it. :P To tell the truth... I don't like most "classics." So I hope nobody really, really likes W&P here. :)


Top 5 scenes from any book:
1. Deerslayer bound to a tree and tortured by Indians - and when they start shooting at him he starts figuring out how close each bullet will come to his head. (The Deerslayer) That was just so cool. :D
2. Hubert walking up the hill to the mine where he and other Christians are going to be killed for their faith. (Crushed yet Conquering) I love the whole atmosphere and how he prepares himself.
3. When the maverick bear is coming up the ledge after Jase, and he decides he is going to get the picture of a life-time before he is killed. (Wildlife Cameraman) Something that just really impressed when I read it at age 8 or so. :D
4. Rose willingly offering up her life for someone she had met twice. (The Shadow of the Bear) That scene is soo cool...
5. And totally different, but Tristan turning around in Herriot's room and absolutely scaring him to death pretending to be some kind of a ghost or something. Hard to explain, but it was hilarious. :) (one of Herriot's books; I can't remember which one.)

The book(s) that made me cry the most:
1. Scottish Chiefs
2. Rilla of Ingleside
(Those are the first that come to mind. I don't know why, but not many books can make me cry. Making me almost cry is very sad!) :)

The book(s) that made me laugh the most:
1. Tales from the Old Squire's Farm - That is one of the most hilarious books we ever read as a family.
2. James Herriot's books - All Things Bright and Beautiful etc. My mom read them aloud to us... we nearly died laughing. (I love Tristan!) (note: I do believe they have a lot editorial issues... grrr.)3. 3.The Hardy Boys (get the 1950's/60's versions... Maybe it's just me, but I'd be reading them at midnight trying not to choke laughing while burying my face in my pillow when I was like 14.)



The book(s) that made me feel the best at the end:
I'm not sure really how I would choose this... so I'll just go with the Bible. :) That book, I could actually have used for many of these questions, but I decided to go with fiction and then a few others. The Bible, if you read it and study it, is really the most amazing book ever, ever, ever to be written. It's the only book that I can learn something new each time I read it... and it's the one that changes my life all the time. It's the inspired Word of God. I love it!

Contemporary or Historical?
I'd have to say historical because there is so little contemporary! :)


Science Fiction, Fantasy, or Horror?
Fantasy. I don't like science fiction and I won't read horror.


Hardback or Trade Paperback or Mass Market Paperback?
I'll read anything, come on. If I really really like it though... Give me a hardcover book illustrated by N. C. Wyeth. :D


Barnes & Noble or Amazon?Amazon, although I get most of my books for $1 or so at library book sales or garage sales. (There are ways you can fill your bookshelves to the point that the floor slants toward them!)


Bookmark or Dog-ear?
Bookmark. I don't like marking up my books. :)


Alphabetize by author, alphabetize by title, or organize not at all?
It depends... Somewhat by author, somewhat by favorites, somewhat by how they look on the shelf. :)


Keep, Throw Away, or Sell?
If it's really bad, it's garbage, if it's like a school textbook I'll sell it... Otherwise, yes, there must be another reason that every room in the house has a bookshelf in it besides the slanting library.


Keep dust-jacket or toss it?
Keep it unless it's really ugly or something.


Read with dustjacket or remove it?
Take if off - they're annoying. :)


Little Women or Anne of Green Gables?
Hmmmm.... I think I've read Anne more times. Laurie and Jo not getting married just made me too mad, even if it did make sense. :)


Short story or novel?
Novel! Short stories are too... short.


Stop reading when tired or at chapter breaks?
Um.... how about either when the book falls on my face and wakes me up enough to turn off the light or when I finish it?


"It was a dark and stormy night” or “Once upon a time”?
Well, I don't like cliche writing, but either one could work, depending on the story and the author's skill. :)


Tear Jerker or Belly Laugh?
The ability to have both in one book is the mark of a good author. :)


Charlotte, Emily, or Anne Brontë?
I think I've only read one of Charlotte's books, so I can't pick.


Buy or Borrow?
Borrow until I know I love it, then buy it if I can afford it.


Buying choice: Book Reviews, Recommendation, or Browse?
I usually don't buy something I haven't read unless it costs like 10 cents - and then it's because of browsing.


Collection (short stories by the same author) or Anthology (short stories by different authors)?
Well, since I don't really like short stories (unless they're fairy tales or something) :) I'll say anthology.


Standalone or Series?
The trend in series annoys me, especially since you can't just read the book - you have to read one and then wait for the next one to come out. I'd prefer an author who could write it all at one time... but if it's really good, than I like the series because it's so long. :)


Tidy ending or Cliffhanger?
I hate cliffhangers!


Morning reading, afternoon reading, or nighttime reading?
Morning, noon, and night... well, ok, night seems to be the best. (as in all night...)


Favorite genre series?
Is "well-written and good" a genre?


New or used?
Used and looks new. :)


Favorite book of which nobody else has heard?
Um... strictly speaking, that would have to be a book I wrote, but even those I think a couple people have heard of. But... favorite book that almost no one else has heard of? I Am Louisa, which I hope I will someday be able to review here for you all as a real printed book!

And anyone who follows me and wants this tag, take it away! :D

14 thoughts shared:

Jessica said...

Oh this one was fun I just might have to try it. I love allot of your picks...when we get together we should exchange books a good reason to get back together again. Right?

Yeah that Morning Noon and Night stuff seems to be listed wrong it should be noon night and into morning. I haven't stayed up to read a book lately I need to get back in the habit.

Milli said...

I was crossing my fingers for Jo and Laurie to get married:)

Lizzy Bennet said...

You are officially awarded with the... oh dear, I can't tell you - that would ruin the suspense! Here is the link: http://lizzyslovelylibrary.blogspot.com/2010/05/ooh-ooh-another-award.html Enjoy!

Love in Christ,
Lizzy

Merriette said...

Agreed about cliffhangers!

You like Rifles for Watie? Interesting.

Laurie and Jo not getting married is one of the best things about the book! It would have been so wrong if they did get married--so wrong. :)

Yes, James Herriot's books are so funny (especially Tristan), though I had to stop reading them because of the language. I did really enjoy them though.

Yeah, that scene with Rose is soo cool, though I thought ---- sacrificed more (Rose didn't intend to give up her life until she kind of didn't have a choice any more.) That was seriously one of my absolute favorite scenes.

Hm, I've been wanting to read War and Peace for a while, interesting to here a negative review. That's interesting that you don't like most classics, because I have just recently been discovering that I do. Something about the writing style in most classics, I just love. :)

Okay, of your 30 books I have read 14--I guess that isn't too bad, and the only one of those that I don't like is Rifles for Watien, which isn't bad either. Nice.

Argh, I saw Scottish Chiefs at a booksale yesterday but didn't pick it up because I didn't recognize the author. *smacks head* I'm still looking for The Spanish Brothers.

I recognize the name Jane Porter, but I can't remember what books she's written.

Haha, in answer to your last answer, I don't care if a book is used or new so long as it looks old. :) I had to find something to buy at the booksale the other day because the bindings were so very nice and old looking, so I ended up getting some Dickens. Hopefully I'll like them as much as A Tale of Two Cities when I eventually have time to read them.

Thanks for doing this tag! I really enjoyed reading your answers.

Katherine Sophia said...

Sounds like a plan to me, Jessica! :D And that would be fun to see what your answers would be. :)

Haha, Milli, I liked Laurie a lot better than Professor Baer. :)

Thank you, Lizzy! I like it! :D

True, Merriette, it would have been wrong since Jo didn't like him... I don't know that I would have minded so much except that he married *Amy* and then they came home and told Jo when she was feeling sorry for herself. And I never really liked who Jo ended up marrying. It was just kind of sad. :)
I hate it when good authors ruin their stories like that... I got a book from the library a few weeks ago that had sticky notes pasted all over with different words written on them, which I thought was awfully nice of whoever had gotten the book before me! :D Made it a really nice book.
Well, it did say when she goes into the house that she knew she 'was entering what might be her river of blood deliberately,' so I always kind of thought she did know.
Well, I suppose that's why they're classics. :D And some I like, but authors like Dickons and Twain and Tolstoy tend to really turn me off. :P
I'd say that's pretty good if you like 13/14 of the books we've both read. :D
The only book I've read of Jane Porter's is Scotttish Chiefs - I've never been able to find any of her other books. I read it when I was at the age where I was really, really looking for perfect heroes, and I loved the book. Last time I read it, however, I did understand some things that had kind of gone over my head before, and when the author said things about him looking like a god, I was very surprised, because I totally didn't remember that. But, because of how much I loved it, and because it is still kind of a pattern for a good book to me, even if I no longer think it's the best book ever written, I keep it on my favorites list. :) It's one of the classics that I do like.
Oh, I didn't mean old as in old, just old as in used and worn out. :D I like *old* books a lot, although I find them hard to read when the pages are falling out... Old and well-cared for is best. :)
Personally, the only book I ever liked that Dickens wrote was a Tale of Two Cities. But hopefully that's just me. :D
I'm glad you liked it! If you read any more of them, let me know what you think. :)

Jessica said...

I like Rifles for Watie too. I could never understand my brother's addiction to it until I listened to it on tape when I was too ill to read and I had listened to every single book that appealed to me. So I listed to rifles for Watie...and fell in love. Not with the character Lucy did that, but with the book.
I loved how he portrayed both sides so well and I thought equally. In allot of civil war books that I have read somewhere the author will fall into a tirade about their view on the war why it was good or bad...and why this or that shouldn't or should have happened and pages later you get back to the story. But it leaves you with a bad taste in your mouth.
With this book I found no bad taste just a well rounded view that I felt was solid and well grounded.
The one problem I did have with this book was the way some of the men dressed or rather didn't...dropping those descriptions would have made the book a little easier to handle...and the kissing scene. :P
Overall I found a very time worthy and enjoyable book.

Katherine Sophia said...

Yes! I loved how it really covered both sides of the war and gave such a good picture of it.
Hmmm, I don't remember how the men dressed... lol, I *told* you I skipped descriptions! I guess I do remember that there were a couple parts I didn't like - maybe that was it. :P
*sigh* That's just it - and one reason I don't like picking favorites - most books I like have certain things that I just love, and then other things that are super annoying.

Merriette said...

Jessica, I agree with what you said about Rifles for Watie; I did like how they showed both sides really nicely. I guess those scenes you mentioned and the romance just bothered me more than you. :) Lucy is kind of annoying and I don't see why he falls in love with her really--except that most guys seem to think girls beautiful when they're mad. :P


Well, I was actually thinking, Katherine, that it would be wrong for Laurie and Jo to have married each other because they were incompatable--they didn't complete each other as a true husband and wife ought biblically. Instead they strengthened each others strong points and weakened each others weak points. I can understanding you not really liking Prof. Bhaer, but he does really suit Jo much better because he is steady while she is flighty, he is calm while she is passionate, etc. while they share the same interests and convictions. Just my thoughts. :)
Yes, it is really annoying when good authors spoil their books that way.
That's true about Rose; I'd forgotten about that.
Oh I don't like Twain either--at least, I detested Huckleberry Finn.
Oh okay, well, I'll see if Scottish Chiefs is still there when we go back tomorrow. :)
Agreed, old and well-cared for is best. :)

Yes, a lot of good books have certain things that make me love it, and then other "disclaimers". :) Bothers.

Jessica said...

Merriette, I agree with you that Jo and Laurie weren't meant for each other even though every time I read it my heart breaks on both Laurie and Jo's behalf. Jo was sweet and saw the future something that few girls have the brains to see, (something that I love her for, I am not sure why some authors make girls looks so dumb) and Laurie missed that.
When I was a kid I hated the fact that little nosy bossy Amy married Laurie. It was awful. As I got older it seemed right but I still have that childish attachment to all of Jo's and Laurie's wonderful escapades.

What I think most find hard in Little Women is this. Louisa May Alcott only married off Jo because her fans were clambering for her marriage. Laurie was indeed unsuitable for Jo's husband but I found it very hard swallow her marriage to professor Bhaer. I think the readers feel a little pushed into the idea that they are right for each other.
If Alcott had, had her choice I think Jo would have remained unmarried till the end. However with the book title Little Wives there was no other alternative then to marry off Jo.
It helps when you read the next book in the series to see Laurie "coming out to play" still with Jo and all her boys and their friendship fully restored and to see Prof. Bhaer and she so well off and fulfilling their dreams. Well that is my two cents worth.

Katherine Sophia said...

Just to clarify, Merriette, I guess I was thinking of the reasons Jo didn't like Laurie - like Jessica said, Jo was actually wise enough to see that they were not right for each other. So I think we were kind of saying the same thing, only I just said the first part. :P I don't know what is with me, but I've been having the hardest time saying what I mean on-line lately. :P (As if you couldn't tell just from that paragraph...) :)

That is exactly it, Jessica! I really dislike it when authors write for their audience. Just tell the story! :) If I remember right, that's the same reason Martha Finley killed of Mr. Travilla. :P So, please, both of you, tell the story that comes to you! :D Or, in other words, live for an audience of One, since you'll certainly never please every part of any other audience you choose anyway! :)
All these book tags... we should make up a writing tag sometime...

Felicity said...

Fun post! You are such an amusing person. I loved what you said about the book falling in your face!
Heh, that's where I buy most of my books too.
I can't figure out how the slanting floor thing works...
I've only read 6 of the books on your list of 30.:/ And I like all of those except Rifles for Waite. I read Rifles for Waite a few years ago and the romance was not good for me at all, so I hold a grudge against the book because of it. :) But I did like the book at the time and I seem to remember it was a very enjoyable read.
I totally know what you mean about missing things the first time you read a book! That has happened to me more than once. It's happened with movies too. Like My Fair Lady. I watched that movie twice a few years ago and loved it. I just watched it again and was shocked at the language and hints at things that I had not noticed at all before. I was even more immensely amused by it this time though, so I still love the movie, I just skip a song or two and try to block all those swear words from my mind (definitely wouldn't want to watch it too often.)
I'm not a Twain or Dickens fan either. At all. I liked a Tale of Two Cities but I hated David Copperfield, it was way too depressing. And I don't understand Twain's books at all. The grammar bugs me to no end and the story makes no sense. I don't like Robert Louis Stevenson either. After I plowed my way through an entire story that did not make sense to me, only to have an ending which was the middle of a sentence, in the middle of a chapter, in the middle of the story, I've had a grudge against him too. I've never read Tolstoy though.
As to Jo and Laurie, I didn't like seeing their friendship dissolve either. But I guess that is really a part of life. Their friendship was childish and when they grew up it had to change - so they became real brother and sister. :) I never really thought about Mr. Bhear, but I do agree about writers writing for their readers!

Katherine Sophia said...

Thank you, Felicity! I'm glad you enjoyed it! :D
Heh, well, the slanting floor works not well at all... my mom actually went to IKEA yesterday looking for bookshelves - the ones we currently have up on the wall are not meant to support the weight that they have been for the past seven years or so. I'm just waiting for them all to come crashing down one night when we're all sound asleep... :)
Oh, yes, I think a big part of how much you like a book/movie is *when* you watch it and what is going on in your life at the time. And of course, people react to different things in different ways, so something that really bothers one person, another person might not notice - or at least not notice at the point in life when they read the story. :/
Lol, I like how you totally dismiss these great and highly revered authors. :D I tend to do that myself and annoy people or shock them, as the case may be, so it's nice that there are others who do that too. :)

Merriette said...

Wait, did you say Martha Finley killed off Mr. Travilla to please readers? Oh come on!
You know, I really liked Mr. Dinsmore until he took over being Elsie's everything again, at which point he became so hard and not God-focused. Arg, Elsie's character went downhill after her husband died too, it was really annoying.
I do agree that writers shouldn't write for their fans, though I personally love Jo/Mr. Bhaer. And, agreed, Jessica, that it is helpful to see them in the next book (I love Laurie in that book :).

I did make up a writing tag once, but the computer ate it (greedy thing).

Katherine Sophia said...

Yeah, I read this in the preface and went WHAT?!
"It was not in my heart to give to my favorite child, Elsie, the sorrows of Widowhood. But the public made the title and demanded the book; and the public, I am told, is autocratic. So what could I do but write the story..."
I thought the story just seemed to get a little odd after that point too. :(
Oh, computers! They do make writing easier, at least for me, but they sure add a lot of bother sometimes. :D

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails