Sunday, March 7, 2010

The nauseating smell of an electrical fire fills the house... my brother rushes to turn out the lights in the kitchen, where something is snapping, popping, and crackling. He waits upstairs in the dark until we return. My grandma and I come in late, talking and laughing, and flip on the lights. When no explosion happens, my brother comes down and tells us about the sounds and smells that are long since gone. We look at each other. Huh. Well, everything seems fine now.


It's not until we go to make raspberry shakes the next evening that we notice the freezer is not cold. We turn the temperature up and shrug. My grandparents go to bed. Close to midnight, my brother comes up to where I am still reading. "This ice-cream is foam." After all this time the freezer should certainly be colder... I go investigate. Together we end up taking meat out to the outdoor freezer, putting milk out on the porch, filling a little cooler... I knew I should have just gone to sleep.


This morning my grandpa called the company. They can be here by Wednesday, at which time they can order any parts we need, and we might actually be able to use the fridge/freezer within, what, the next two weeks? Not good.


Anyway, he called somebody else, and they came right out and fixed the starter immediately, which is the part that fried the night we were gone. Most of this is more or less true (sorry, I write fiction best. I mean, I don't think my brother was waiting upstairs for the electricity to blow up...), :) and it made me think of something. :)


Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be salted? it is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men. Matthew 5:13


Salt is a preservative, like the refrigerator. When it doesn't work, it's annoying, a pain in the neck, and worse than useless, because you think it's there doing something and it's not. Our job is be salt in this earth, and I think we've all heard that explained in some sermon or another. But I thought it was interesting that when the starter broke, the fridge didn't work. I never really realized a starter was needed to keep something running. Guess it is.

We are "started" by the salvation given us by Christ Jesus, but without Him, we can do absolutely nothing as salt/refrigerator. Unless we keep that "starter" fresh in our minds, continually before us, we will not run as we should. Thankfully, it we let it slip and stop working as a result, He is only a call away, and He will immediately fix us when we ask Him.
I hope you are working well today!

2 thoughts shared:

"Anyone can count the seeds in an apple, But only God can count the apples in a seed."- Unknown said...

Love the story! Yes...fiction can be more interesting than real life...only when real life isn't more interesting than fiction...LOL.
Thank you for reading my blog and your comment. I came across your blog when I was looking for modest clothing. Anyway...the lure of scripture is what kept me reading. A very nice site. I love the music too:) I will periodically check it out.
Tina

Jessica said...

Beautiful story and application. So well done Katie. I know I get so caught up in conveying things sometimes that the truth gets a little blurred but it certainly makes for a good story with an excellent point. GO FICTION! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails