Tuesday, March 2, 2010


Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
John 14:5


I have always loved this verse. It is so beautifully descriptive and so clearly direct in explaining who Jesus Christ is and how we can have fellowship with God. While looking up verses about God and truth, however, I realized I'd never understood the amazingness of this verse.

"I am the Truth."

I always thought of it as truth, Jesus is the maker of truth, He is true, He is trustworthy because He is truth, etc. But "God, that cannot lie" is a different verse. This word truth does not mean simply the opposite of lie. One of its meaning is truth, as opposite falsehood, error or insincerity.

But this word also means

truth

truth, as opposite types, emblems or shadows

the reality clearly lying before our eyes as opposite a mere appearance without reality

the unveiled reality lying at the basis of and agreeing with an appearance

the manifestation or veritable essence of matter

the reality pertaining to an appearance


Jesus Christ is the unveiled reality of our God. He is the manifestation, the essence of matter, of what is real. We look around; it appears we have a Creator. Jesus Christ is the reality pertaining to that appearance. There is nothing more real than Him. What we see is merely a shadow of what there truly is around us. By knowing Him, we can... become real. Through Him, we can approach the Father.


Wow.

1 thoughts shared:

Felicity said...

"the manifestation or veritable essence of matter" I'd never heard that definition, I love it.
To the whole of what you shared I can only echo you: wow.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails