Sunday, February 28, 2010


Neh 1:11-2: O Lord, I beseech thee, let now thine ear be attentive to the prayer of thy servant, and to the prayer of thy servants, who desire to fear thy name: and prosper, I pray thee, thy servant this day, and grant him mercy in the sight of this man. For I was the king's cupbearer. And it came to pass in the month Nisan, in the twentieth year of Artaxerxes the king, that wine was before him: and I took up the wine, and gave it unto the king. Now I had not been beforetime sad in his presence. Wherefore the king said unto me, Why is thy countenance sad, seeing thou art not sick? this is nothing else but sorrow of heart. Then I was very sore afraid, And said unto the king, Let the king live for ever: why should not my countenance be sad, when the city, the place of my fathers' sepulchres, lieth waste, and the gates thereof are consumed with fire? Then the king said unto me, For what dost thou make request? So I prayed to the God of heaven. And I said unto the king, If it please the king, and if thy servant have found favour in thy sight, that thou wouldest send me unto Judah, unto the city of my fathers' sepulchres, that I may build it.

Nehemiah asked God to hear his prayer and grant him mercy as he tried to follow God. When an opportunity arose do what God had called him to do, he was "very sore afraid." That's really scared. But he immediately took it, and told the king what was on his heart. The king listened, and Nehemiah continued crying out to God for the words to speak, and he kept speaking.

Nehemiah had a temple to build. My body is the temple of the Living God, and I have "temples to build" as well. Look at how he goes about doing it. Really, the entire book of Nehemiah is an amazing book to read about witnessing to others and preaching the gospel.

First, he fasts and prays. Then he takes the opportunity that is presented. He does not wait until it's the perfect time, until the king is in a good mood, until he doesn't look awful and feel worse, until he feels ready. He begins to speak. And it gets easier as he goes along, but he keeps praying, and he does what God calls him to do. No matter what obstacles are thrown in his way, he continues on in obedience.

That gives me something to think about. I can't keep pushing off the work I see before me. I don't know how much time I or others have, and I need to allow "the good hand of my God upon me" to work out His will through me. The command, "Go ye into all the world and preach the gospel," is given to all of us. How has God called you to do it?

2 thoughts shared:

Jessica said...

Wow, Kate. I love this. What a beautiful and special comparison that you have drawn.

Katherine Sophia said...

Thank you, Jess! <3, Kate

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails