Thursday, October 22, 2009

Psych Again...

"Across various tasks, people overestimate what their performance was, is, or will be... Despite our painful underestimates, we remain overly confident of our next prediction. Moreover, anticipating how much we will accomplish, we then overestimate our future free time... Failing to appreciate our potential for error can have serious consequences, but overconfidence does have adaptive value. People who err on the side of overconfidence live more happily, find it easier to make tough decisions, and see more credible than those who lack self-confidence"~David Myers

Totally true. I tend to go along with someone when they really sound like they know what they're doing - only to realize later that I actually did know more about it than they did! So, if I just always act like I know what I'm doing... no more "I think"s or "Pretty sure"s or "What if we try"s... The thing is, almost nothing annoys me more than people who say something like it's the gospel truth, and which I find out later has absolutely no basis in reality. Oh, well. If you sound unsure, people don't believe you. It's really nicer to them to act sure and be helpful most of the time, than to act unsure and be helpful none of the time.

Now that that is taken care of, here's another random thing from psychology class! :) This joke was rated the 2nd funniest joke in a survey ("among 2 million ratings of 40,000 submitted jokes").

Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson are going camping. They pitch their tent under the stars and go to sleep. Sometime in the middle of the night Holmes wakes Watson up.
Holmes: "Watson, look up at all the stars, and tell me what you deduce."
Watson: "I see millions of stars and even if a few of those have planets, it's quite likely there are some planets like Earth, and if there are a few planets like Earth out there, there might also be life. What does it tell you, Holmes?"
Holmes: "Watson, you idiot, somebody has stolen our tent!"

4 thoughts shared:

Mike said...

I don't really get the holmes/Watson joke!
Did you change your backround?

Katherine Sophia said...

Maybe you have to read Sherlock Holmes... I got to see a play this summer in Bemidji that was pretty fun!
I did change my background this month. And I'm already thinking of a "Christmas look" - I guess it is the equivalent of changing my doll's clothes... :D

Bracie said...

You said in your other blog that you are practicing your commuinication skills... are you a part of a speech and debate league?

I loooove speech.

And you have 4 homechooled sibs too? Weird! You're just too close not to follow...

=D

I like your blog's new "Doll clothes." Over at my blog, The Locket, I just madea new header...

Jessica said...

Very Funny that is such a cute joke! Absolutely love it Kate.;)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails