Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Testimony on Consecration

Consecration
Leviticus 19:2 “And ye shall be holy unto me: for I the Lord am holy,
and severed you from other people, that ye should be mine.”
My name means “consecrated to God; clear, bright”. The literal meaning of consecrated is “set apart” and I always thought it was so special to belong to God. I realized, at age eleven, what a privilege I had of being able to be a light in the world, set apart for God to use. However, thinking it is special and actually being consecrated are not the same. :)
Trying to find out a little more about what consecration really means, I looked it up on the internet. There I found it defined as “sanctification of something by setting it apart as dedicated to God”. The Bible uses the word sanctify over four times as much as it uses the word consecrate. Sanctification means “act of consecrating or of setting apart for a sacred purpose” and “to make productive of holiness or spiritual blessing”. Sanctification is “the act of God’s grace by which the affections of men are purified, or alienated from sin and the world, and exalted to a supreme love to God”.
It sounds wonderful. But it’s really hard! I have a tendency to try to sanctify myself for God, to do things for Him on my own. I want to do right; I want to make myself what the Lord wants me to be. It is beyond my power. So, I fail; I get discouraged; I can’t seem to ever get any better.
Lately, I have been learning more and more about how much God is involved in sanctifying me! As my Mom says, He doesn’t save us, and then say, “Well, hope to meet you in heaven someday!” When it talks about Jesus as the author and finisher of our faith in Hebrews 12:2, I found those words meant “originator, founder, leader, chief, prince” and “a completer, perfecter, one who brings some thing through to the goal so as to win and receive the prize”. It is not up to me to make myself holy. Christ began it, He will perfect it, and He is bringing it all the way through to the end! I realized just recently that every Sunday should be a reminder to me that He is the one that sanctifies me! Exodus 31:13 says, “… Verily my Sabbaths ye shall keep: for it is a sign between me and you throughout your generations; that ye may know that I am the Lord that doth sanctify you.”
It is difficult to find the balance between ‘doing it myself’ and simply doing nothing, which is actually another way of ‘doing it myself’. What I really need to do is rest in my Savior, following His leading, listening to His voice, one thing at a time and one moment at a time. In John 17:17, Jesus says we are sanctified through the truth, God’s word. Knowing His word, and thus knowing Him, will be what sanctifies me. I need to do what He says to do, stop what He says to stop, and let Him give me new desires and new abilities as I keep seeking Him. That is consecration.

Jude 1:24-25 Now unto Him that is Able to keep you from falling, and to present you
faultless before the presence of His glory with exceeding joy, to the only wise God our Savior, be glory
and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen.

0 thoughts shared:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails